I'm not playing to society anymore.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by silent method, Aug 7, 2005.

1. [rant]

I have come to a realisation recently and I thought who better to share it with then talkbass.

My circle of friends has to change, I have to change ... society has to change.

Talk is cheap and people will tell you anything to see your smile. Of all the things that people tell me how much of it do I ever see followed through with? Honestly less then 10%. Anything from people claiming "I will kick your a$$" to "I know a guy that can get you this sweet job" from now on I am not holding any stock in anything until I actually see the end result. So many people will lie to your face without even batting an eye and why? Just so they can make them self feel big? Like they can help you and in someway empower them self? I have had enough of people with empty promises and fake words of wisdom. I have had enough of false advice based on fake situations. I'm sick of people.

I am sick of people who seemingly have nothing better to do then abuse their bodies and minds and then brag about it to me the following day. No I don't care about how much you drank or how many dumb whores you slept with. No I don't care about how you cheat on your lover or how you think that swearing every third word will somehow get your point across. All you are saying to me is that you are not worth my time.

I have come from a dark past, I have made a lot of mistakes I did a lot of things I regret but one thing I don't regret is waking up. Seeing there is more to life then beer boobs and bongs. There is a time to have fun but there is also a time to take yourself seriously. You have to grow up sometime and I think it is just about my time.

I have decided for myself that if you cannot talk to me without swearing you are not worth my time. If the only joy you have in life is abusing your body you are not worth my time. If you feel like telling me you will help me with something just to see my smile and then never following through with it is OK, you guessed it you are not worth my time.

Why am I telling you this? I don't know but what I do know is that right now I am taking a long hard look in the mirror and I see that it is time for a change. I have to start respecting myself more and not lowering myself to fit in with the crowd. It is time that I stand up and be my own man and set limits for myself and not accept people trying to bring me down.

From now on I will not be associated with people who do not even have the self respect to take care of their own self.

2. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
  3. you have cut your list of possible associates down to yourself and a few dead saints. Join the insanity. Lie and manipulate if you can. Or just have fun doing nothing.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You're missing out on an art form, man. Done properly, cursing is a true thing of beauty.
  5. .

6. My girlfriend has said the exact same thing almost word for word. Never to me though, I feel kinda the same way about it.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah, right. So, you're at the "Can't take a joke" phase of angst.

Seriously, man. I used to be that intense, back, oh, three years ago? Y'know what being full of "conviction" and self-righteous anger'll get you? A tumor. Follow me, here; that inability to deal with the way things are is going to start eating away at you. You'll swear to freakin' Kirk that everything and everyone has gone necrotic on you, and is consuming itself into some festering cesspool. The lies, acting, the basic lack of "human dignity" or sense of self-pride or even self-preservation.

You'll probably be damn sure you're the only sane one left in the world, and that you're the only one who's got a freaking clue, and that (follow me here), you're not going to bother even talking with these miserable sacks of humane waste. These people who can't even have fun without alcohol or nailing some random girl.

You may have sworn off alcohol and various drugs for the rest of your natural life, because you've got better things to do with your time, money, and brain, right?

Trust me when I say you're going to get really lonely really fast. You're not lonely though, because you don't need people; they are, after all, the jerks, right? You don't need them, they're the ones that suck. You may or may not even start avoiding going out in public because every time you do, your blood pressure shoots through the roof, just LOOKING at those morons.

Then, sometime in a couple years; might be one, might be ten, you're going to have a drink, maybe several, or smoke a joint, or accidentally take a hit of acid, or maybe just meet someone who's exactly like you, and you'll hate them with every fiber of your being.

And you'll start to realize (or it might be an epiphany), that all these decisions and opinions you've made haven't made you a better person, or made the people around you any better; it just isolated you. Your loathing of everyone didn't make you superior to that drunken, skirt chasing frat boy; it just made you a dick. Meanwhile, while you were wallowing in hate, loathing society, he was having FUN.

Doesn't mean you need to be a drunken skirt-chaser to have fun, but it does mean you'll end up at the bottom a deep pit pretty quick, and won't even realize until you claw your way up.

I'm still a bastard, but at least now I'm not a prick. What I came to realize, and you might too, just maybe: it's because you expected something from people, society as a whole. Maybe you don't know what it is, or maybe you do; I thought I did, then realized I didn't. I expected something from them, and it was unfair of ME to expect my "standards" on people. It's expecting a child to know quantum physics, it's saying "I'm right, because I'm the only sane one left."

Then, I stopped projecting myself on society. Society stopped failing at every step (merely every other or every third one), and suddenly, suddenly, people still sucked, but a lot more of them didn't.

Go ahead and tell me I don't know you, I don't have any clue, I've no idea what you've gone through or what made you who you are today, I sold out to society, that I've got none of the attributes you think are "good" in a person. Because I've go no idea about anything, and you won't talk to me because I swear; I'm wrong, an unintelligent, boorish slag of a guy.

I'm sorry if any of this was illegible, my sloping forehead blocked my view of the keyboard; being an idiot makes it hard to coherently express myself.
  8. Not to sound like a bad person, but what if your gf swears, even lets one slip out accidentally??

I can easily understand the drug and booze thing, I really do because I don't have too many friends who do it to the point of abuse. I think it is not a bad idea but I believe it shouldn't be shut out of you life... not that you have to do it, but some of those people may be there when you need them one day... life is all about networking... sometimes things fall apart but hey, sometimes they don't and it could be a job when you need one, a gig when you are itching. All I can say is don't shut people out of your life that you do get along with. You don't have to be someones bong holder to be a friend but to say you are not worth the time of day is ignorant. This is only what I think, take it or leave it, I don't care really, but I guess I do enough to post it.

I hope this wasn't overly offensive and if so, my honest apologies.

If you want to change your friends, don't look at who you hang out with but more how you hang out with them... might be a little better when the bridge isn't on fire
  9. While I can see your points I have to disagree. I am not swearing off social fun, or drinking or even swearing with it is appropeate. What I am trying to say is that people have taken it all too far. Far too many people don't know when to call enough enough and that there is a time for fun and a time to be serious. Highschool is and playtime is over and you have to set standards for yourself. When you are out with the guys and want to joke around and talk it is fine but I find when women swear for it to be desgusting and totally unatractive. Call it a double standard whatever its just my opinion. My girlfriend and I have decided not to swear in front of eachother and you know what it has made our relationship that much richer. We respect eachother more and we have real conversations about real issues not just talking about a "fine piece of a$$ that just walked by"

I think what is important is realising there is more to life then being a prick drinking and lying. There is nothing wrong with telling someone Im sorry I cant do that for you rather then saying sure and then doing nothing about it later just to make them happy at that moment in time.

Party when you party but still have the self respect to fuction on an adult level when it it called for.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Now hold on, that seemed to be a fairly reasonable sentiment. What happened to the fire and brimstone of your first post, fella?
  11. I think you mis read me. I never was against drinking or swearing I am against it taken to extremes. I do not want to waste time with people who cannot set limits for themself. I think eveyone has to have their own standards and people whose standards are below mine are not worth MY time. If I treat you with respect I want it back.

What sparked this?

People saying Sure ill help you/do this for you and never following through. People are about instant gratification and don't think of what comes next. And that is my problem
  12. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Cool...i'll talk to you about this later dude.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Are you sure dude? Because I can get you a sweet gig delievering food rations to test rats on the moon. I've got a connection with ****ing astronaut guys who are crazy and ****... and they will ****ing hook you up with a job.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get drunk and pay a woman to spank me.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

I have no idea how I got my idea.
  15. Is your girlfriend a professional psychiatrist?

Here's another cool maxim for you:
    People will correlate behaviors they personally don't like with other objectively undesirable attributes to make themselves feel better.
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You do sort of sound like you are taking it to extremes yourself silent. I do agree with you on all issues, but these are human flaws, all of them, and they can be ignored/remedied.

Ignore the lies, try and get these people to swear less, and tell these people you don't care for their drinking stories (I hate those too, they are usually pointless). This is suggesting these are people you have some care for. Because I might have gone through a similar phase. I was friends with a crowd like you were describing, it's really hard/unavoidable. Talk with them before you stop being friends with these people.
  17. dude read slower I said I hate it taken to extremes and the quotes you used from me said "swearing every third word" that is an extreme. I dont mind sayng things if you stub your toe or somthing bad happens that warrants it but to say "man i think im going to get me some fing pasta cause im so fing hungry, what is with this fing b!tch, taking so long to get my fing food." if you are going to speak like this, you are not eating at my table.
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, always make sure you know who their dealer is before you burn bridges: it might be some REALLY good stuff.
  19. Kevin: I'd like to begin the presentation, but first, THE WHORES!

[Room turns dark, 'party' lights and music are turned on. The door to a bar cabinet in the wall behind Kevin opens up. The window curtains close themselves. Four whores enter the room dancing. One goes to Kevin, one to Bruce, one to Dave, one to Mark.]

Dave: [standing] WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?

Mark: [standing] THIS IS HIGHLY IRREGULAR!

Bruce: JAY!! [standing] This is not how we do business here!

['Party' lights and music are turned off. Curtains open up. Bar's door closes.]

Bruce: Ladies uh please. You'll excuse us.

[women leave; Dave straightens his jacket]

Bruce: Ah gentlemen you'll have to excuse Jay. He's new to his post and he's anxious to please. Please excuse this *error in judgement*.

Dave: Well I've-- Yeah, alright. Fine. Fine. [sits down]

Mark: Sure. Alright, alright. [sits down]

Kevin: Thank you. Thank you very much. Thank you. [sits down]

Bruce: Jay if you would [sitting down] we'll have the presentation. *Then* we'll have the whores!
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Possibly, but you initially made no distinction between "at all" and "extremes." Merely "swearing makes you not worth my time." Every third word or not, you failed to make a clear deliniation between the acceptable (drinking on occasion), and at all. Your first post said "do it, and you're no friend of mine," with no mention of degrees.