1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm not sure my last option is working...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gopherbassist, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Tooth pain. Well, not pain, really. Just a really intense, throbbing... sensation. It's not awful, just unignorable and keeping me from going to sleep.

I tried painkillers. I've basically overdosed on Excedrin, I took 4 because it was so intense (which is double the max dose listed.) That did nothing, so half an hour later I took two more. Still nothing.

I used Anbesol. Zilch. Then some numbing cream, and still not a thing.

I've tried massaging my gums, rinsing with warm water, mouth wash, flossing, massaging the gum between the teeth with an interdental pick. No relief.

I walked up stars and found that it didn't hurt for a little bit after that, so I started doing jumping jacks to get my heart rate up. That worked, but only while I was exerting. I can't exactly sleep while exercising, so that's not going to work.

I thought maybe bloodflow was an issue, so I tried to stand on my head. I can't stand on my head, so that didn't work.

Now, as a last resort I'm sipping some brandy. It's kind of working a little, but not making this go away. It's almost 3am and I have to work in the morning... I'm not sure what else to do.

Oddly likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    You've taken three times the maximum dosage of excedrine and now you're combining that with alcohol. Have you considered consulting a dentist?

3. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    At three in the morning?

GrooverMcTube likes this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Probably not but three am definitely isn't the appropriate time to combine alcohol with a triple dose of acetaminophen and aspirin.

Munjibunga and guy n. cognito like this.
  5. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Call in sick and find a dentist that takes emergency calls.

6. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    This....don't go into liver failure for a toothache.

Tbone76 and Gorn like this.
  7. And caffeine. Each Excedrin capsule contains 65 mg of caffeine, about the same as a 1 oz shot of espresso. Six of those and you're surprised you can't sleep?

Gorn likes this.
  8. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I don't know what your job is but if you turned up for work with me after that night of frankly ill-advised self-medicating, I'd send you home as a risk to others.
    Seriously, call in sick and get professional help.

9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Excedrine is the devil. If it's that bad, you can go to the ER until you can make a dentists appointment. They will probably give you some topical lidocaine and a small script for Vicodin. These are only to treat the symptoms (and please only take painkillers as prescribed, or better, not at all), not the cause. You likely need an antibiotic to treat what is inflammation caused by an infection and it will not get better (and the dentist won't operate) until you are on it for a few days. Toothaches are the worst and I've had my share. One of them was so unbearable I had to go to the ER and they did exactly what I describe above, though they're probably less likely to provide you with narcotics these days unless you have very clear, visible symptoms. Good luck!

10. A trip to the emergency room for a small script of vicoden or oxycodone will give some temporary relief. Then a trip to an oral surgeon for either a root canal job (about $1000) or an extraction (around $400) are the final solutions. The other solution is a trip to home depot for an 8 dollar pair of pliers and the heart to use them on yourself. Naaaa , the dentist is a much better option.

Clark Dark likes this.
  11. If you are going to use OTC meds, go with ibuprofen. It's a better anti-inflammatory than Tylenol.

catcauphonic and rllefebv like this.
  12. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    you were obviously a bad boy this year so Santa brought you a tooth ache, suck it up and do better next year. but seriously..... I feel for ya , I know what that's like and not being able to get to a dentist right away, which is what you should do ASAP and NOT self medicate. Go with Ibuprofen if anything

13. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    I second the trip to the ER. They will either give you and prescribe you a pain killer but in some instances an antibiotic that will start to work on any infection. I almost wanted to slap you when you mention Excedrin and pain killer in the same sentence:cool:

14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's not about the excedrin . It's about the triple dosage and the brandy. I hope the op is okay.

15. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    When I use aspirin I routinely double dose. If I hurt bad enough to have to medicate for it, a normal dose isn't enough.

47th Street likes this.
  16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    Pull that puppy. I've pulled a couple of my own. It hurts like he!! While it's coming out, but relief is instantaneous. Rinse with copious amounts of heavily salted water as hot as you can stand, then pack the hole with gauze. Gargle regularly with hot salt water followed by listerine.

Oh, and when you pull the thing, sit down and hang your head forward. You may fall if you try to do it standing up.

Oddly likes this.
  17. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

What do you use to pull it? Needle nose?

18. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    This would do it ... I've done it once. I used a Leatherman. But make sure you get the right tooth!

19. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Hopefully the OP has found a dentist that is open on Christmas or a least a health care provider that can prescribe the proper pain killers in the interim.
    You still with us @Gopherbassist? Maybe Santa and the tooth fairy can work together to help a brother out.

20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    I took a small pair ofslipjoint pliers and stretched some surgical tube over the jaws. Tou can't just jerk it out though, you have to twist it the side to side, then twist it some more. Keep doing it until it gets loose enough to rip loose.