Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm not sure what I'm overdriving...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tryxx, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    It's odd really, but here's the scenario.

I'm playing my Modulus Quantum 6 with Bart pick-ups and pre-amp through my Mesawalkabout and Epifani NYC-212. I'm messing around with the "growly" tones on the bass, leaving the Walkabout flat. I made a few tweaks and I got some overdrive, but it didn't sound strickly like the Walkabout. It was more meaty, and kind of a bit more low-end oriented. The gain was at about 8 o'clock, turned down way low, and it still happened. I'm just not sure whether to attribute that overdrive to my bass' pre-amp, or the Walkabout.

(On the bass I boosted the mids quite a bit, left the treble flat, added a touch of bass, and faded mostly to the neck pup.)

The overdrive didn't sound "bad" at all, or give any warning signs something wrong was going on, it was just there. I could make it go away and the amp would still sing clear as day, so it's nothing permanent.

The bass is fitted with a Bartolini NTMB-18 Volt preamp, so it had the pre-wired gain control. If it's that, do you supposed I could just turn it down if I'm going to be using this setting often? (Kind of drifted out of "Amps" with that last question...)

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    It may have been the bass if the gain was that low. How grizzly was the overdrive? Just a touch of warmth or buzz saw?

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    How fresh are the batteries for your onboard preamp?

Tom.

4. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    with that 18volt, its possible that you are overdriving the input.

5. My basses buzz and distort when the batteries are low.

6. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Not brand new, but like I said, if I take it flat everything is fine. It kind of led me to believe it's not the battery, but I'll try picking some up and replacing them.

The overdrive wasn't as warm as the Walkabout, like I said a bit more meaty and in your face, almost like a pedal.

Thanks for all the help.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Some times a weak battery is more apparent when you have a boost going on as opposed to when everything is set flat. If swapping out the batteries does not take care of it, then I might try to find the trim pot for the output of your Bartolini preamp and back off a bit. Does your bass have a passive mode? If so, I presume that it does not sound overdriven in passive mode? On the Walkabout, if your Gain is set below 10 o'clock or so, you shouldn't have much tube overdrive going on.

Tom.

8. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    No passive mode to my knowledge. Knobs are Bass/Treble, Mid, Balance, Volume.

I'll get some batteries and do just that. Sounds like a good plan.

Here are some pictures of the electronics cavity if interested. I'm told that blue box and screw is the gain.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/game101/Bass Stuff/Q6Elec2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/game101/Bass Stuff/Q6Elec1.jpg

Oh, and the 9 volts are stacked.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My old Q6 with Bart preamp had a little blue and white trim pot inside the cavity. I had to adjust it so that the level wasn't too hot and clippy for the tone settings I preferred on the bass itself. You might want to give this a try, but be sure to mark the original setting.