1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm not sure whether this fender P-bass is authentic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silentyyh, May 2, 2015.

1. silentyyh

silentyyh

Jul 18, 2014
    Simpelveld
    Hey guys,

I'm considering buying a used MiM p-bass from 1995, but I'm not completely certain if it is an authentic guitar. I got some pictures of it emailed to me, and the guy is coming over to my house tomorrow so I can inspect it.

Could you help me by taking a look at the photographs, and maybe telling/advising me what to look for when the guys comes over with the bass?

pictures here:

The serial isn't readable in the imgur album but in the high res picture it is readable as: mn5127321

Many many thanks in advance,
    Lars/silentyyh

2. I believe you can check the serial# on Fenders site and it should give you the date of manufacture.

3. silentyyh

silentyyh

Jul 18, 2014
    Simpelveld
    Hey,

I checked the serial, and it seems the bass is produced in 1995. But the serial could be fake right? Any other key points how to check wheter it is authentic?

Thanks though,
    Lars

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The "5" after the "MN" tells you it's a 1995 Fender, and all looks to be the real deal. They even used Strat knobs on the MIM P-Basses there for bit back then.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It is a legit mid-90s Fender from what it looks like. Those are the period correct strat knobs and the serial apparently checks out. It is worth anywhere from $150-$300.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'd put it at worth $90-150. Why do you want it?
    By 2004, Fender had dramatically improved the quality (especially the sound) of MIM Fenders, IMHO.

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    If he can get it cheap, there's nothing wrong with it. The pots can be upgraded to solid shaft, and the pick up can be replaced. Otherwise, I'd leave it as is.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  8. silentyyh

silentyyh

Jul 18, 2014
    Simpelveld
    I did buy it, pretty satisfied with it. In what way the MiM p-basses have improved then? just electronics?

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Materials, fit and finish, pickups.

10. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Electronics, pick ups, finish just to name a few. They used to have a REALLY thick poly paint on them, cheaper pots, and cheaper pick ups. The thick finish just added unnecessary weight to the bass. None of these things make them bad basses, though.

11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Late to the party but defiantly legit. I hope you got it for a good price, nothing wrong with it as is but has others have said it's easy to upgrade pickups pots etc. Rock it and enjoy!