I'm not telling anyony where I found this but...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dirtgroove, Jan 5, 2004.

1. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    erm I'm not telling anybody where I found this but.. is US$120 suspiciously cheap for a Korg G5?
    Is there some inherent flaw in this model that I should know about?

Also- I only got around 30 minutes before the store was closing up for the day- I was far to involved with making various sizzling and squelching noises- does this thing actually have a by pass? I was having a bad day and I certainly couldn't find it.

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated.
  2. Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Yup, there's a bypass. (Sounds pretty clean to me, but I use a Looper nevertheless for any effect that doesn't have tru-bypass.)
    -Just press down the pedal on whichever patch is lit up at the moment, and you'll get into bypass mode. Press it down for 3 seconds, and you're in mute mode.

IMO, the G5 is simply fantastic. But you do have to like those kind of synth sounds. -My aim was to get old Korg or Moog synths' low sweeping filter type of effects. And I certainly got that, plus tons more.
    You can also dial in really--and do I mean really--crazy analogic fuzz and distortion effects, very aggressive techno bass sounds, without mentioning the talkbox patches. And you can always keep good precision with the wet/dry feature.

As far as flaws go, I haven't found a single perfect synth pedal in the below 500$ price range. At 1st I felt I was somewhat restricted by the waveform selection format of the G5. But I'm finding it increasingly versatile as I'm getting to know it better. Especially now that I'm experimenting combining it with delays and other distortion and EQ units. (Just the SansAmp chained right after the G5 opens up crazy new possibilities, through the EQs, Drive and Presence dials.) In any case, I prefered the G5's format over the EH unit, with which you couldn't save patches.
    Tracking also seemed better on the G5. Though I find it tends to lack clarity in the higher and lower frequencies (low on my B string, for example).

I just got a Korg expression pedal for it and am a bit disappointed. I was especially expecting more from the filter patch, where the expression is supposed to act as a control for a lo/hi-pass filter.
    Not enough range for my taste with this pedal in any case.
    Mad Subwoofer uses a EB volume pedal for expression instead, and seems quite pleased. Maybe I should've tried that before shedding the extra 100$... :(

At that price, it's a steal. Unless of course it's broken or something.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The bypass is a disaster. It eats your lows like crazy.
    That apart, the unit itself is great. They're in high demand but aging units so the guy may not know about its value.
    It seems like a good deal to me.
  4. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    well, It's mine now. Any advice on how to bypass the unit altogether when it's not in uses would be very ver apreciated. I understand how to do it in theory- It's just not anything that I've had to do before so I'm just interested in how other people do it.
    I'd really appreciate any advice.
    thanks Tom.
  5. Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    LOOPER :cool:
    (Or any cheaper tru-bypass looper or A/B switch unit available in Taiwan...)

And congrats. Tell us how you like it. :bassist:
  6. Yup...lame bypass but oh well. Mine's in a loop as well. Stellar deal btw.