1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm not that hot new chick

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Euphony, May 13, 2010.

1. Euphony

Euphony

May 13, 2010
    PA
    Title is from a lyric by Cat Power.

Hi, you can call me Euphony! I'm 20 and in college and just starting out playing bass. I don't have a teacher right now, but I'm hopefully going to get one soon. I joined because I'm looking for tips, inspiration, and ideas as I learn to play. Something about bass guitar really appeals to me. And don't say it's some natural trait of women! I just really love rock music, and I don't care about the attention that guitar brings.

Music is very important to me, and I'm always looking for new stuff to listen to. I mostly like rock, but I'm been trying to get into jazz, blues, and folk as well. Sorry, I'm not a fan of most hardcore metal or punk, but there are always exceptions!

My favorite bands/artists are Tool (number 1!), A Perfect Circle, Led Zeppelin, PJ Harvey, Cream, Rage Against the Machine, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, The God Machine, System of a Down, and Sleater-Kinney. And that's just rock! I also love more mellow alternative and indie pop/folk.

I would certainly count Justin Chancellor as having my favorite style, but I dig the simpler groove too. And at this point I'm light years away from his playing, haha! I guess one cool thing about being a girl bassist is how many role models I have to choose from. But I would appreciate any recommendations you have for good bass players to listen to, especially the ladies. I'm all about musicianship though (and having fun with it), not being "eye candy." I think the music industry seems hard to do well in as a woman. There's still a lot of sexism, especially in rock. It's not that girls aren't interested in playing music, it's just that they don't get popular most of the time, and they're not taken seriously as musicians.

A few facts about me: I'm a bit of a video game/book nerd, I love writing stories, and I want to be a teacher when I graduate. I see playing music as a hobby, but I really want to join a band once I'm good enough, and I guess you never know what can happen! I also like science, being outdoors, and exploring. Oh, and fashion, crime shows, politics, poetry... I'm a multi-dimensional person, I think!

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to finding some cool stuff on the board. :)

2. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Welcome! Check out TBer Julie Slick.

3. He War is such a good Cat Power song!!! Good choice :)