1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i'm now a DOUBLER!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by pierce, May 11, 2006.

1. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i am now the proud owner of a johan rauner german hybrid bass :hyper:

IMG_0339.

laminate top and back

4TYdVV7oSKrsA1DN2XEX1nzkebTC.

carved sides -
    IMG_0338.

built in nuremburg in 1963 -
    IMG_0327.

purchased from a local player, who bought it from mike olivola's shop. apparently mike raised the neck to increase the volume. (at least thats what mike said when i called him).
    IMG_0336.

oh, and the scroll -
    IMG_0337.

anyway, im pretty happy. the finish is not great, but the sound is real good, and strong. the guy was real cool to work with, and made my purchase decision easy. he also threw in a free lesson and a mooradian bag.

i know this is by no means a show stopping bass, but i think it will do me just fine. that and the fact that my wife had been saving up for a upright as a surprise, makes this such a sweet deal for me. (john turner is right, musicians should marry accountants. ;) ) i'm having trouble studying for finals, as i cant pass the bass without playing.

thanks for letting me gloat a little.:smug:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Looks like a fine bass to me. Nice score!

3. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    yeah, that bass has lots of overstand now. that should've made a nice improvement in sound and playability.

4. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Just from the pics, the bass looks to be all-ply, not a hybrid. The top looks to be as thin as the back, has no "channel" around its perimeter and also appears to be [faced with] plain maple, not spruce. While I'm sure it's a fine bass regardless, I'd have a conversation with the guy you purchased it from if you paid a hybrid price for a ply bass.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

Indeed. He describes the bass as having laminated top and back and carved sides. That jibes with your observations and mine. I've never heard that referred to as a hybrid. I agree-- it may still be a fine bass but I hope he didn't pay a "hybrid" price.

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Awesome bass! I really like how the finish looks....:smug: I play a Strunal hybrid that has a carved top with plywood back and sides.

7. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    when i talked to mike olivola (www.thebasshouse.com) he told me that while it was not unusual for hybrids to be made this way, but it was not a very widespread way to do it. i guess it's how you define a "hybrid". (fyi, im not trying to ignite an arguement, just to state this as i know it. i am still relatively new, an dont know all of the intricacies of the upright )

i paid less most new hybrids, other rauners i've seen, or kays for that matter.

i am also planning on taking it to the acoustic bass shop in ssf, or ifshin music in berkeley, for an insurance appraisal. (the seller also recommended this.)

8. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    So which is it? Ply? Or Hybrid?

9. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    The "New Standard" laminated basses have solid ribs, don't they?

10. Affirmative.

11. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

me too. :)

12. Lucky dog.

13. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Looks fine to me! And it sounds like you got a good deal, so I'm sure you will never have any regrets with this instrument. DB is where it's at, enjoy!

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Okay, the unpleasant p***ing contest has been removed from the thread. Please feel free to discuss HAWKEYE's new bass (in a calm and dignified manner). :)

15. pthorstenson

pthorstenson

Jul 14, 2005
    Aurora, CO
    Refering to the origional intent of the thread...

I wonder how long you will last as a doubler unless you need to play electric bass for the money? I have a great set up for the slab (hartke amp/modulus bass) but it just dosn't do it for me anymore (I got my upright about a year ago). I'll give you a year before your electric is collecting dust while you obsess over things like perfecting the intonation of the Bb on the D string.

I have a rauner as well.
    All basses are different but I found my E string was a little lower in volume (with fresh strings). Are you finding the same thing pierce?

16. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

im already starting to think about that. if i keep playing punk i will be forced to stay on electric (due to my lack of ability on the double, so far). but if i end up switching to another style...well, i'll let you know.

my e is lower in volume as well, but the bass as a whole is loud. i shake the whole house with it. (upper level san francisco crackerbox construction). i thought it was bad technique or string. :)

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Bass looks nice.

As far as the becoming full time DB part. I can see it happening, yet for me it really depends on what you're "known for" playing. At school, I've gotten several calls and compliments on my DB playing in a folk rock setting, and a few in jazz, yet back home-i've gotten called primarily for my BG work [what i was more or less known for in high school].

Congrats on the bass. My bass [NS cleveland] is also laminated top and back w/carved sides and i love it.

take it easy.

18. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    I concur with the above. Since I have gotten in to the Upright, more people call, and the J-bass gets a lot less attention, although, it hasnt hurt my electric chops too badly, surprisingly. Congrats to you on your Bass! :hyper:

19. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I like the "blonde" look. I'm a fan of the lighter color uprights.

20. macdeezy

macdeezy

Jan 17, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Pierce,

I have the same bass as you...#767 but made in 1965.
    It's really a great instrument...I just had some repair work done on it...

The glue holding the neck on dried up and the neck consequently popped out of the box. When my local luthier took it off completely he found there was no glue holding the neck on at the bottom...only on the sides. I don't know much about the history of my bass, but maybe this repair was done before but poorly. I doubt it came out of the factory like that.

I also got a new (adjustable) bridge. There is a sound post bulge which required the bridge to be fit to the top very precisely.

Learning how to play upright is tough enough...trying to learn on an instrument that isnt set up properly is even harder and can lead to injury.

If you are from the SF area, I know a guy in Palo Alto who does amazing work on basses. You wouldn't want to take it to anyone else, trust me. If you want his info PM me.

-Mac