Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Im now a rythem guitarist!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Last year I bought a tele, just for kicks, and am pretty proficient on it, except playing really fast chords (especially palm mutes) is hard. My friends band (my little circle of friends involves me, 2 other people, and the 3 in the band) wants me to join to help bring more stage presence in the band. They are amazing musicians (great songwrite, FAST drummer) and although they are 16 and 17, they have been playing music together for 4 years. They just recorded a full length, and are playing some shows locally.

The reason that they need more stage presence is because the bassist (we're at about the same level technichally, but he just spent A LOT on gear, so he'll stay put) also sings, and can't move around a lot at all. The guitarist is the cool *rock star* type, and stands in the corner, much like the stereotypical bassist would :)p ) and the drummer is, well, sitting. So I agreed, and am learning the songs (I can sing them, and know the words, but they arent *done* yet.

My question is this, what can I do to play faster, they are seriously the fastest band I have ever heard, and need to improve quite a bit. I want this to work, and am trying as hard as possible to get it to.

Thanks in advance.

2. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    I've played rhythm guitar for years and although the lead guitarist gets the most attention,your job is much more important!

First of all,your sense of timing should be alright because you play bass so the only thing you should need to work on is the technical aspect of speed!

Alternate picking is a must if you wanna play fast and the palm muting you mentioned is equally important. Check out www.metalmethod.com, they have a message board there for technique that you may want to check out! A word of warning though, all the guys on that board are seriously stuck in the 80's so don't talk trash about Skid Row or Poison.

A good book to get that will greatly improve your overall technique is Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina. It covers every aspect from rhythm playing to lead playing! Check out his site www.stetina.com to order. I think he offers books on rhythm playing alone as well.

Keep in mind that these focus more on metal music, but I feel it could help you overall anyway.

3. Hey, thanks a lot.

*Im off to get 10 packs of strings (20 bucks, woo!) so I can play really hard and break them!*

4. cloudnine

cloudnine

Jan 18, 2002
    Pennsylvania
    This sounds corny and maybe like I don’t know what I am saying but if you want to know how to rock faster and keep up with your band then read what I have to say. For me getting into the mood of the band and keeping in touch with the vibes your putting out helps. Start living fast. Wake up in the middle of the night run into the bathroom. Splash your face with cold water. Run halfway down your street in your boxers. Ring a doorbell and then run home and go to bed. If that’s the lifestyle your singing about living then live it. Do the things you sing about doing or wanting to do. Get to know the other guys in the band and try to get a good idea of how they live their lives. I let my musical influences influence my whole life. Think of Rancid. If you listen to their lyrics on their earlier CDs they are singing about being hungry, poor and not knowing where they are going to sleep that night. With that thought this quote came to mind.. “It’s always good to be a little bit hungry and a little bit cold.” – Margaret Thatcher (ex-prime minister of England). As Rancid got more popular, got more publicity and moved from the streets of New York to the mansion or penthouse that they could finally afford, their creativity headed down the drain. IMO Rancid’s CDs got progressively worse after And out come the wolves. After the fame that they apparently couldn’t handle was destroyed by their pathetic attempt at a new album Life won’t wait they made another pathetic attempt. This time they tried to please their old fans by making a “harder album”. They put a skull with crossbones on the front and a mix of some of the worst and most fraudulently angry songs I have ever heard in my short 16 years. The problem with the CD wasn’t that they had lost all musical ability. The problem was that they didn’t have two things. One being genuine anger and the other beings things to sing about. They weren’t poor anymore, hungry, cold or angry. They were doing the biggest taboo of punk rock IMO. They were trying to please fans. Screw that. They would be better of making brassy ska crap like on Life won’t wait instead of trying to go back in time to when they had creative ability. Sorry if I went of on a tangent but I couldn’t help letting my thoughts out onto this post. Thanks to anyone who bothered reading this.
    -Erik Taylor of Cloud Nine

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I would like to applaud LAZY for being one of the few people on the planet that can properly spell the word "rhythm."

Thank you Lazy for renewing my faith in musicians.

6. If it makes you feel better Jazzy B, I knew it was wrong when I typed it, but was in a hurry, so I didnt check on it.

*feeling stoopid*

7. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    mr. CloudNine,

reality check: Santa's aint real!

no rock star actually lives the image he is selling his fans and the press.

sid vicious lived and died by the image he adopted and thats a case where the image accumilated the real persona of the "musician" (I wouldnt call sid a musician though).

the way to get good is practice, and better yet, band practice.
    getting a leather jacket or making friends with the local drug dealers wont make you play better.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

cloudnine, you must have copied and pasted that from your other post.:rolleyes:

9. Cloud nine, you just joined today, have posted 3 posts, and everysingle one involves you hasseling people. I think that if you came hear to pester people and say crap like
    "no YOU are wrong!"
    You really oughtta consider a harmony central forum, u'd fit right in.
    i can't speak for everybody here, but i think i come close when i say "be polite or leave"
    --

10. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC

11. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

12. I think its always good to spread your base (haha no pun intended) ..... just don't spread it too thin.