I'm now an unemployed bum

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Well, last Wednesday, the long-lasting rumors of agency restructuring and layoffs hath surfaced. I was one of the deceased. I've worked there for close to 13 years, and it sucks I needed to leave under these circumstances.... BUT:

I'm actually thrilled about this. It wasn't a great job, and I talked about leaving for some time, but I think I was so far wedged into that "comfort zone" that I never really pursued something else.

So now, I get to relax, concentrate more on grad school, practice more, etc., etc., etc.

I will be looking (obviously) for a new job. I get bored quickly. I hate down-time. Prior to the layoff, I was working full-time, I go to grad school full-time, I'm gigging regularly, and I do the occasional web-design stuff.

Cheers ;)

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I've been off of work for almost 3 months. I just don't feel motivated to get another crappy job. In fact, my former manager left me a voice mail claiming that I stole some paint by charging it to an account and using it myself... The interesting thing is that I never went to the paint store without her...

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Let us know how things work out for you Eric. I've been off work for a couple months now, and I love it.

-Mike

4. As an aside, I'd be interested to know what profession you guys have left (voluntarily or not) and whether or not you are looking to get back in that same field or make a change.

I ask because everytime I've quit a job (with one exception), I've wanted to get as far away from that field as possible. Thanks.

Mike

5. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I left my network engineer/admin position voluntarily. I was tired of the people I worked with among other things. I'll go back to the IT world when I am ready.

-Mike

6. well, at least you have a great sig. to help you through this

7. Well, I've had several jobs at this agency over the 12 years I've been there. Most recently, and for the past 6 years, was as a Family Therapist. For now, I'm planning on staying in the field. Perhaps not as a therapist, but still related. My graduate work is in School Counseling program with a School Administration aspect, so if something relavent to that popped up in a school setting, I'd certainly jump on it.

For now, I'll be enjoying severance and relaxing... Until boredom drives me insane! :)

8. That was hysterical, and it deserved signature status.

Thanks bro... I'll keep ya posted. :)

9. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    A friend of mine became unemployed. He worked for a Chrysler dealership, and the owners of that dealership were laundering money, and eventually the bank seized them. So he was out of a job, AND lost his apprenticeship.

He's got a new job at ANOTHER Chrysler dealership though.

-Mark

10. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Good for you! Its always nice to be forced into looking at other perspectives and having the resources to pull through ;)

11. This is where my experience has varied. My degree (Political Science), didn't really open a whole lot of degree-specific job opportunities. I knew this when I got it and have no regrets, but it made job hunting a bit of a challenge. A Master's in the same would have probably left me in a similar situation (I'm not the teaching type and pre-law ain't my thing).

I went through several varied jobs out of college. Purchasing agent, construction (I still miss it), sales, fund-raising, etc. My current job is great and a field I can expand in, but it took 6 years before I found a niche I can work with.

I hope everything works out with you guys.

Mike

12. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Hey, me too! I've been a government contractor the past few years and was really tired of it. Really, really tired of it. I'm looking for another job but find myself being extremely picky. No long commutes, no defense industry.

In the meantime, I'm exploring opening my own business. Just need to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I launch.

13. I do! lol... When I started undergrad I was a Physical Therapy major. It's what wanted to pursue. It was only a semester and a half into my college experience did I accept the fact that my mathematical ineptitude would be a serious hurdle. It was then that I switched to my second choice: Psychology. Granted, I love the field, and in terms of work done, wouldn't change a thing.

With that being said, Physical Therapists make good money compared to Psychotherapists... And that sucks! :crying: Oh well, some of the PT's I knew back when I was in school that loved their jobs now are hating their jobs. The biggest complaints I hear are boredom and repitition. I don't do well with that either, so maybe it was a good choice??? Hmmmm. Ask me a few years after I finish my graduate work and I'll have a better answer. :D

14. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Ya know, you slackers and malcontents can get a job at my shop. The pay would be real lousy, but the benefits, boss and environment are nice. You'll avoid gaps in your resume, while adding experience that will impress your future employer.;)

15. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Which toilets need cleaning?

16. LMMFAO!!!

17. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Just the one upstairs. My aim is pretty good, so it shouldn't be a hard job.

18. You've finally mastered the tweezers. Bravo. :D

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, if you were closer, I'd definitely wornk for you. I'm almost 3 months without a job.

20. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If one of the benefits is a big screen with TECMO always on, sign me up. :D

-Mike

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021