Im now fully employed in a Established memphis area band!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    Today I went to play drums for a band of friends.
    Well today, I played, mostly originals. Now Im fully employed as the drummer. We have gigs lined up till June. We have 4 gigs so far- A get together sunday afternoon after a funeral, In march we are playing a big festival(supposedly issac hayes and kid rock will be there.) Also we are opening for Loud Speak!!! YAY! Loud speak is a really great Local Rock band. They play alot of shows though and we will be opening for them for a while at different places. HMMM im single now, Im getting over ashley slowly and Im in a gigging band. When you think life sucks, Sometimes it rules. The bassist in the band is pretty good. He can solo! The funny thing is, he has a solo in a song. It sounds good, HMM it was the guitarist idea!!
    Its original stuff though. The band sounds a little like Matchbox 20 and Me and Jordan(the guitarist) are bringing a more jazzier sound to it. I like it:D.
    So anybody have any info about how to get through gigs?? as a drummer??
  2. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    are you a bassist and a drummer ? Or just a drummer ?:confused:
  3. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    oh sorry... Im just the drummer. The bassist is really good though, hes been playing about 3 years. Really knows his way around the fretboard. He knows theory. He listens to alot of limp bizkit though. Oh well , whatever floats his boat. We get payed! *grin*
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Good for you. It's nice to see things coming together.
  5. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    Thanks blackbird, that means alot to me man. :)
    Im flipping out, i heard something along the lines of a big festival in Southaven, MS on march 29th. Something about Kid Rock and isaac hayes hosting it and its a thing for local bands. I guess from what I understand is that, They are doing this to promote local bands from that city or what not. We are supposedly the 3rd band going up. They are already getting a settlist together and getting the songs down. Im flipping out a little bit about it. I dunno what to think. Im not a kid rock fan but, its still beyond me. Nobody knew me as a drummer and now, Ill be playing in front of 3000 - 4000+ people.
    Has this happened to anybody before?
  6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sounds good man, congrats! Do you know these guys from before joining the band? Do you have your big gig into any kind of contract? We were asked to open up for a Sevendust show, that is yet to happen, and haven't heard anything in quite some time on it. Just make sure everything is in correct order before you get your hopes up, sucks when it doesn't happen.
  7. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    Yeah man, Ive played in 3 or 4 bands with my guitarist. Me and the lead singer hated each other for about a year but we used to be really good friends back from when we were about 8 years old. I just met the bassist not too long ago though. Hes really good. The only thing is, well he plays a Rogue 5 string. He took the bridge, the tuners, the pickups and the neck off, and kept the body.
    He put in a Gotoh Bridge, Locking Tuners, And a P&J set of I think EMGS, not sure didn't ask him, but i think i heard that. And Put a Warmoth neck on it. Its honestly a good bass!! Hmm, He got it for like 30 dollars at a garage sale and did all that. Sounds better than alot of Fender MIMs ive played and heard. Kinda bassy tone. Hes a really nice guy and has knowledge of Soloing. IM impressed! Very IMPRESSED!

I have my first gig sunday afternoon after a Funeral. A friend of the lead singers, dad died. We are playing after the funeral. He was a musician so, his son wants us to play at the house. We get to rock out too. Its sad though, because hes was in his 50s. Again, I have no idea why they are burying the man so late, but they are.
    Its an originals band though so thats a good thing I guess.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Isaac Hayes = Cool
    Kid Rock = Not Cool

Hmmm... that's a kinda good idea. Reach in your pocket and pull out enough change to buy a rouge and fix it up.