Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im off to the Navy

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzcatb17, Mar 22, 2004.

1. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Well i havent posted anything here in quite sometime, but now im back,

Quite alot of stuff has happened in the past 6 months, and not really having alot of aim, i've decided to enlist. My family has a small background in the Navy and it seems like a decent choice for a life right now, might point me in a good direction. I went down to the recruiting office this morning and signed up, they had me take a predictive test for the main military the test(i forgot the name), it said I should do 87, really a good score. Its the first time in awhile I've had an actual direction in life, im kinda nervous and kinda excited about it. I have too lose 30 pounds first though, any diet suggestions are greatly appreciated. The most ironic part about it though is I'm almost a total pacifist, I only approve of war in the most extreme situations, but maybe I'll be like Private Joker in Full Metal Jacket. Sometimes you've just gotta do what you've got to do, right? Also, im seeling off all my gear,if your interested check it out in the classifieds forum. Everyone wish me luck, maybe one day I'll be a SEAL :rolleyes:, love

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good luck, I hope it works out well for you.

3. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Congrats!

I did 6 years in the USN as a Satellite Tech back in another lifetime (1975-1981). I started out planning to be a "Nuke" but ended up in Satellite Communications and have never even seen the inside of a ship. I did my time at Guantanamo Bay Cuba.

Basic Training (bootcamp) will be an "experience" to remember. Just do as you're told when you're told and you'll be fine. You may wonder why so much emphasis is placed on being able to make your bed and fold a pair of underwear correctly. It's because of this. If they can't even teach you to fold your skivvies properly, how can they teach you to handle missiles, or the control rods on a nuclear reactor. The Company Commander (The Navy's version of a drill seargant) may yell and scream a little, but don't take it personally. He's just trying to find out who are the men and who the mama's boys are. There will be plenty of mama's boys for sure. Bed wetting, crying to go home etc... Just look at it is as an ordeal you have to get through that kicks off the rest of your life. Be a man and let it roll off. I promise that at the end you will laugh about it all, and feel very proud to have made it through.

Things may have changed since I was in, but if not, make sure you can tread water for at least 5 minutes. Anyone that couldn't was placed in the "Rock Company" where you stay and don't progress until you can hang in the deep end for the full 5 minutes.

Be prepared to clean some toilets, mop some floors and paint some rocks. While there were many times I hated it, I also learned a skill that that along with the college courses they paid for now nets me a 6 figure income. I also made some of the best memories and friends I ever had in my life, some that I still keep in touch with 20+ years later.

Try to do basic training in Orlando. It's where the females (Waves) do basic. If you can't get lucky during "Service Week" you never will. :D

4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Nope.. NTC Orlando is no more.. Was shut down back in the late 90's.. I booted there and went through my first phase of electronics training there.. I wen't back in 1999 for a business trip, six years after leaving and it was a ghost town!!! I couldn't believe it!!!

Yep.. boot camp sucked, but I've never laughed more at anything in my life after I was finished with it.. Make it into a "game" and you'll be ok.. Don't take anything personally.. And BEWARE 1-5 DAY!!! You'll remember that day for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!! :D

My time in was THE SINGLE GREATEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE!!!

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Oh.. hold onto some of your gear... You'll be able to use it again..

6. Jeez, I got out 10 years ago and I still have unworn boots!

Jazzcat,

Pay attention, get in shape, stay in shape, keep a good haircut, you'll be golden!

7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Actually I was referring to his bass gear that he said he was selling off... I was in several shipboard bands while I was in..

8. That's a much better idea than holding onto boots that you've had for the past 15 years! :D

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

-although boots are useful too, never underestimate the importance of quality footwear.

10. An unworn set of 1986 (as stamped) Jungle Boots with the green canvas sides and regular (not speed lace) eyelets that were issued to me in '88, a set of 1990 desert boots that I wore for 3 hours after DX-ing a set of torn up boots in '91. I still wear both my old "field boots" from 1988 and the original desert boots from 1991, the jungle boots have seen better days...I still have most of my uniforms and stuff- I can still fit into most of it...

I think I'd rather trade that stuff in for a kickin' bass rig.

11. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    I would hold on to my gear, but i want to pay off some debts before i head off. I figure I can always buy new. The training camp is now in Illinois by the way

12. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I see... Well, there's always someone around who's being transferred or needs money and you can probably snag something at a later date..

Great Lakes Il... Yes, I know that place well... Shovelled quite a bit of snow up there!! LOL! So when are you actually going in... as in reporting for Boot Camp?

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I remember Great Lakes all too well. I described it to my friends as 'like prison but without the perks.' I was there for boot camp and ET 'A' school. I started out to be an electronic technician (That's actually what that ET back there stands for) but ended up crossing over to corpsman. It's a strange world. And now I have a six-figure income too...if you count the ones after the decimal. ;) :rolleyes: :crying: No wait seven! counting after the decimal. :D

Jazzcat-
    Don't take the mindgames too seriously and you'll be fine. You can learn a great many useful things in the service that have nothing to do with your job field. I have heard from many sources that boot camp is much easier now. The CC's may yell at you that they are going to hit you. But now they are not allowed to actually do it.
    Just keep your eyes and mind open. Some of the things you'll get an opportunity to learn will be very cool, or useful, or both. Many will be none of the above. But learning all you can is always a good policy.

I learned some cool and strange things in the navy. They taught me to scuba dive (very cool), sky dive ( also very cool), repair satellite communications devices and humans (one or the other has kept me employed most of the time since I got out), to appreciate decent beer (I had to overcome a lifetime of propaganda from Bud, Coors,Miller,et al...) demolitions ( I am a figure of terror to stumps all over my relatives farms) basic firefighting ( a useful skill for a paramedic looking for a job, most departments want to start you as a firefighter before using you as a medic) and others I will think of later.

14. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Since I just got started on the process this morning, and since I need to finish off this semester of school, probally not until early summer. The recruiter said it probally wouldnt take all that long to get everything prepared, but its not like i can just drop out in the middle of the semester.

15. Good luck! Even though I share your sentiments about war, the navy will open up futures for you, and it can only help you in the long run.

16. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I dunno... You can't kick through a small car with an Ampeg SVT.

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Why then would you want to join the military? Pacifism isn't what the job is about. Trust me. Someday Reagan will ask you to go to Central America or Bush I will invade Panama or....well, I'm at the end of a long twenty years, and it's not been boring, but it hasn't been a camping trip, either.

Think long and hard about what the military does and who runs the show. Be prepared. Keep your head down. Stay upwind of the agents. Good luck - and make sure you know what you're getting into....and why.

18. Nor do you want to. Regardless of all the nifty stuff you learn, nothing replaces a diploma.

19. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    As for as my pacifism goes, i think i can block that out and learn to think other ways. Im still young and pliable, plus im certainly not against kicking some terrorist ass.

One question to you former recruits, are you allowed tobacco at boot camp. A couple of my non-military buds said they think you cant, but the NAVY has no policy against tobacco use. Anyone know what the story is?

20. jazzcatb17

jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    Have you ever heard an SVT cranked? I think it could almost kick through several small cars. :D :D :D