I'm Officially Hooked On ERB's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pointbass, Aug 17, 2005.

1. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I haven't played my '86 Fender MIJ Power Jazz Special at a gig in almost a year (not since I started playing 6's & 7's towards the end of last year) and I was once again amazed at what a great bass she is :bassist:

Sure, she has some bumps and bruises, but not too shabby for a nearly 20 year old bass that was played steadily up until June of last year. All original parts, now strung with LaBella flats, and she was pushing a 7 piece funk band all night without breaking a sweat ..... jeez, I love this bass ....

The problem is, I'm really used to playing 6 & 7 string basses now, and I found myself constantly searching for the additional range on both the top and bottom. Therein lies the major issue with ERB's .... once you start, it's tough to go back. I actually found it to be a bit harder to play on the 4 last night, I was moving all over the neck and I really missed the low D-C-B :(

I'll always love her, and I'll always keep her, and she'll get invited to play out every now and then, but I'm officially hooked on ERB's now ..... :cool:

Here she is in all of her glory .........

[​IMG]

2. Sweet. It's a very good thing they didn't make those in seafoam green, or I'd have a bass I wouldn't play much, too! Is the back of the neck blacK? Mine(1st good bass)was. I strongly advise you to always keep one 4-string, though it looks like you don't need that advice. ;)

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Defenetily a keeper bass. I picked one up a few months ago for $250.00. It has paint chips missing, was sticky and smelled as if it had been dipped in an honey and then rolled around a giant ashtray.

I put some 1/2 pounders in it a new schaller roller bridge, and just some plain old TLC. It's a beast now!

I love it. Puts a smile on my face everytime I play it. I normally play a Stingray 4, but that one gets its share of my attention.

4. Duff MacKagen will be calling your people really soon. :smug:

I really liked those basses. Great necks.

5. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I think I got this pic from the searching here. I believe it was for sale, but if I remember right, the date on the post was over a year old....

[​IMG]

Here is mine (Pewter/Green). It now has a black schaller bridge instead of the chrome.

[​IMG]

6. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    No, the back of the neck is natural finish with the skunk stripe. I've seen lots with the black, however ... I was trying to buy the same bass but unlined fretless, and it had the black neck (couldn't talk the guy into selling it :( )

I'll always keep this one, 1st because it's way too good of a bass and I'd have a real hard time finding something as good, and 2nd, my wife bought it for me after a recovery from a serious medical issue .... :cool:

7. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Yeah, I was definitely smiling a lot last night while playing it :D \

.... just wish it had 3 more strings :( ...

8. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'm gonna quote myself here, and I'm not ashamed of it... everybody does it, right :D

That'd be 1/4 pounders (SD Pickups). 1/2 pounders would be INSANE!! :eyebrow: