Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm Officially Hooked On ERB's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pointbass, Aug 17, 2005.

1. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I haven't played my '86 Fender MIJ Power Jazz Special at a gig in almost a year (not since I started playing 6's & 7's towards the end of last year) and I was once again amazed at what a great bass she is :bassist:

Sure, she has some bumps and bruises, but not too shabby for a nearly 20 year old bass that was played steadily up until June of last year. All original parts, now strung with Labella flats, and she was pushing a 7 piece funk band all night without breaking a sweat ..... jeez, I love this bass ....

The problem is, I'm really used to playing 6 & 7 string basses now, and I found myself constantly searching for the additional range on both the top and bottom. Therein lies the major issue with ERB's .... once you start, it's tough to go back. I actually found it to be a bit harder to play on the 4 last night, I was moving all over the neck and I really missed the low D-C-B :(

I'll always love her, and I'll always keep her, and she'll get invited to play out every now and then, but I'm officially hooked on ERB's now ..... :cool:

Here she is in all of her glory .........

[​IMG]

2. Sweet. It's a very good thing they didn't make those in seafoam green, or I'd have a bass I wouldn't play much, too! Is the back of the neck blacK? Mine(1st good bass)was. I strongly advise you to always keep one 4-string, though it looks like you don't need that advice. ;)

3. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Defenetily a keeper bass. I picked one up a few months ago for $250.00. It has paint chips missing, was sticky and smelled as if it had been dipped in an honey and then rolled around a giant ashtray.

I put some 1/2 pounders in it a new schaller roller bridge, and just some plain old TLC. It's a beast now!

I love it. Puts a smile on my face everytime I play it. I normally play a Stingray 4, but that one gets its share of my attention.

4. Duff MacKagen will be calling your people really soon. :smug:

I really liked those basses. Great necks.

5. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I think I got this pic from the searching here. I believe it was for sale, but if I remember right, the date on the post was over a year old....

[​IMG]

Here is mine (Pewter/Green). It now has a black schaller bridge instead of the chrome.

[​IMG]

6. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    No, the back of the neck is natural finish with the skunk stripe. I've seen lots with the black, however ... I was trying to buy the same bass but unlined fretless, and it had the black neck (couldn't talk the guy into selling it :( )

I'll always keep this one, 1st because it's way too good of a bass and I'd have a real hard time finding something as good, and 2nd, my wife bought it for me after a recovery from a serious medical issue .... :cool:

7. pointbass

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Yeah, I was definitely smiling a lot last night while playing it :D \

.... just wish it had 3 more strings :( ...

8. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'm gonna quote myself here, and I'm not ashamed of it... everybody does it, right :D

That'd be 1/4 pounders (SD Pickups). 1/2 pounders would be INSANE!! :eyebrow: