Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm On The Prowl...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut_1, Feb 10, 2005.

1. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    well, i have three basses. an Ibanez SR-490, Washburn XB-102, and a Yamaha RBX-774. now don't get me wrong, i like all of these basses, (well maybe not the XB-102 so much); but there's something lacking in the Ibanez and Yamaha. i love both of them, but there's just little things that i would like to have different...

after much deliberation, i've decided to get a new bass. hopefully, this will be the last (4 string) i get for a while.

so, after much looking, i picked out the Schecter C-4 and the Peavey Grind. then, after i thought about it, i said to myself: "why would i buy another mediocre bass when i already have three?" of course, they were GREAT for the money; but i figured it would probally end up being the same case as my Ibanez and Yamaha; they're both great, but there's just a few things i don't like...so...

i looked again, and narrowed it down to the Yamaha TRB4II and the Peavey Cirrus.

i'm not going to tell you what kind of music or techniques i play or whatever. i can figure all that myself. i just want to know if you think these are good choices. perhaps someone has experience with one of them. or maybe you could just tell me which you would choose. i just want to discuss these basses.

as of now, i'm leaning more towards the Peavey; but feel free to sway my opinion.;) oh, and if you have another bass suggestion, please, tell me about it. (as long as it isn't a Fender or a custom).

i'll appreciate any input.:)

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Both are very good basses.

The Cirrus has a 35" scale, so you might want to play one a bit and make sure that the length and the string tension work for you.

I prefer the preamp and pickups in the Cirrus.

I also think that the neck on the Cirrus is more comfortable.

So, my vote is for the Cirrus.

But, you need to play both of them as much as you can, and see which one is right for you.

3. Ive always been in love with TRB series, I think they are so nice and sound amazing. The woody finish of the Cirrus makes it quite atractive but in terms of playability, versatility and sound Id go with the Yamaha.

I have to say they are really close, really.

And hi Supernaut, Im Twopelu ;) (MX)

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I own a Yamaha RBX 765A and, for a time, looked at the TB. I enjoyed playing it, but something was off tonally (for me, at least).

Then a friend of mine bought a Cirrus which I also played. The mids and lows on this bass resonated quite a bit more than the Yamaha.

Sooooo between the two, I'd take the Cirrus, but either would be a good choice.

5. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    yeah, i used to not really like 35" scales, but after playing my RBX774 for a while, i realized that actually like them better, i like the feel of a 35.

anyways, although i'd really like to play them both before i choose, i just don't think that will be possible...i mean, i've never seen either bass at any music store i've been to...

6. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    hey!:hyper:

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    +1 on the Cirrus, just because of Embellisher's hehe.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What, this old thing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]