1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm opening for Bobby "Blue" Bland

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by brutal bassist, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Me and my band are opening for Bobby Bland this saturday, and its a huge 2 story venue, im really nervous. AND, i have to leave my amp there for Bobby's bassist to use, any way to calm down the jitters?

2. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Just ask yourself: Bobby who?

If you have a nice rig, set it flat.

It takes a huge investment on gear to make EQs sound good when pumping signal.

When that same gear is left flat it generally sounds amazing.

Have fun. You're opening. A lot of people won't even see you play. Pump out that backbeat, brah. Have fun on stage and do all you can to make the times better for the rest of your band. Squirt beer on your audience if they don't like you.

Enjoy the sound in the venue if there's a lot of space.

Love it up!

3. um, its a national act, theres gonna be like 500 people there to see.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Make sure you know your material.

Then, just relax, and have fun.

If your band is laying it down.

Bobby will dig it.

Also, I have opened for "Name Acts" in the past.
    Half the time, they might not even see your set.
    So don't sweat it.
    Just groove.

5. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Your the supporting act and the headliners bassist wants (has) to use your rig? That's messed up.

Congrats on the getting the gig though, a nice one for the CV.

Regarding nerves, they're just normal folks who use the toilet the same as everyone else. Until the end of the first number treat it as just another support slot, after that the nerves will have gone and you can enjoy yourself.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am jealous!

And remember, the promoters where confident enough of your band's abilities to hire you as the opener.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Medicate...I mean meditate before the gig to relax. :cool: Focus on your breathing, keep it steady. Picture you and your band playing well and having a great time.

When you're at the gig, don't rush the tunes because of adrenaline high. :hyper: Focus on each song as it's played. Soon the gig will be over and you can enjoy Mr "Blue" Bland's set.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

8. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Congratulations!!! You've gotten a lot of good advice already. And I have no experience opening for anyone, you know, big. But...WOW!!! What a cool gig!

Cherie :)

9. The Funk

The Funk

Jul 7, 2006
    London, UK
    That's amazing. Well done. Enjoy the gig and make sure you thank Bobby Bland after the show. He's possibly the most soulful blues singer ever...

Look at it this way - you guys were good enough to get the gig so that means you're easily good enough to do the gig. So just try to enjoy it as much as possible.

10. Jsegbers

Jsegbers

Aug 26, 2008
    Our drummer is normally solid, but he is prone to get a little excited. since I noticed that I got him a b-day present of a metronome that can be silenced and uses a little strobe light.

He always practices to one so he is very used to it. Very helpful in keeping things the right tempo even when playing with bigger acts that get him and i both a little excited.

11. mcm

mcm

Oct 2, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Thats really cool. He's a legend.

12. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Exactly...someone asked 'bobby who?'

A 500 person gig is nice but it's still a small/med size venue (medium sized venue in Canada) so enjoy the night.

National act...not international act. Not worth freaking out about dude. their bass player has to borrow your rig so it's not like they have made huge demands and throw their weight around.

13. Enjoy it.

14. I've opened for a lot of the older blues men and most (although not all) of them are approachable and friendly. Enjoy yourself!

15. bobbybluebland.......nice mantra, say it a few times with some deep breathing and you'll be good to go. ;)

BBB has written some pretty well known tunes.
    I'd open for the guy, but from here, the jury's still out on no decent backline. :eyebrow:

Have fun, enjoy the experience and best of luck to you and your band.

16. yea, but... im opening for him... and im 16, so im a lil nervous

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    There's a reason they asked you to open for him. You must be happening enough to do so, just trust in that and have fun.

Bobby's great, I've done some double bills with him (before you were born! :eek:). Just do what you know how to do, and you'll be fine.

19. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    the bobby blue bland band bassist is bumming your backline?

whoa