Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'M OPENING MY HOUSE

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Sep 2, 2005.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've been doing a lot of praying with this one, and I know I'm a long way away. As some of you know I just recently went back to work after being without work for almost a year. So I can't do much financially for the Katrina victims. I've decided to "open my house" free of charge to a couple or a family with one kid (my house isn't that big) who have had their property or livelihood destroyed. This will be at least thru December (the free of charge part). And maybe longer, I realize it is going to take a while for those affected to get back on their feet. The reason I'm posting here first, I'm going to contact my church too, Is I would love to be able to help out a fellow TB Member. Now I know I'm a long way from NO, and you'll certainly need a coat up here in December, :D , Don't worry we'll find one.

If your interested please PM me, If you or someone you know needs help. Whoever comes, will have free run of a finished basement, cable TV, and we'll come up with some beds if we have too. Also I may be out of town a lot on business and that will provide you with some extra privacy.

2. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I can offer up a place to crash here in Austin. It isn't much, but I can find a room or two in other friend's houses as well. I can offer a comfy couch and means to find a job, even if temporary.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'm too far away, but if anyone from the area makes it all the way up here, let me know.

-Mike

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Read the orignal post over again. Pay special attention to the last paragraph.

-Mike

5. That's a wonderful thing to do. My household's pretty full, and too far away, but I'm planning to use other ways to help. (Donations, playing in fundraisers, etc. Might as well put my talent to good use!)

Maybe your church can help with some of the extras that you would incur, like food, clothes. You could also look into the local Red Cross, food banks, etc, and see if they are willing to suppliment your food or income, and donate clothes for them while hosting a family during this crisis! It would be worth the call! That would also help you to host them for a longer period of time, which would help both of you! Heaven knows, they're going to be without home and work for quite a long time! Let me know if either of those work; I'd be very interested in seeing if that would be an option. (Might just have to make the call myself and see.)

Take care! ;)

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If anyone wants to crash here in Daytona, arrangements can be made. It wont be the most confortable of things, but they'll be food, A/C, T3 internet, cable T.V., and good company.

-Ray

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    My family and I will begin Monday working directly with victims that have been moved here to Lackland AFB. It's horrible - kids can't find their parents, parents can't find their kids, folks don't have shoes or clothes...much work to be done.

8. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    As soon as its possilbe/safe to get into New Orleans, i'm going to drive from Houston to New Orleans, and then to New York. If you guys know anyone who's been displaced by Katrina who needs a ride (either from Houston to NO, or NO to NY or Houston to NY), PM me. If my upright is still alive, then it will be in the front seat, so I'll have one relatively uncomfortalbe back seat. Its also possible that my upright will be destroyed, in which case i'll have 2 or 3 extra seats.

-Will