Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm out of G.A.S.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Jan 11, 2006.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    So, I have something in the works and another bass that I am this close (can you see how close "this" is? It's really freakin' close) to pulling the trigger on and I found today that I am out of gas...

First, Nino Valenti is building me a 5 string tuned E-C with an ash body, quilted maple top dyed black, maple neck with an ebony board, also with matching dyed quilt maple, Nordstrand Fat Stacks and an Aguilar OBP-1 with passive tone control...I am really looking forward to this bass.

The second is a new Alleva-Coppolo LG-5 in Mary Kay white with a Madagascar Rosewood board and Jimmy's signature electronics. It should be finished in a week...I am all over it.

Anyway, the reason for the post is this...I sold a bass today. I traded a fretless Yamaha to Spencer Pyne for a gorgeous SR5, and I received the bass yesterday. It just wasn't me so I decided to let her go. I sold her for $800, some of you might think that was low, others might wonder if they missed out on something. Anyway, back on track here...I was wondering what I should buy next...maybe a Czech Spector 4 string, maybe a Fender Jazz 4...my options were open.

Well, I decided not to purchase a new bass. I don't need another bass. I have my Skjold 5 - which I love (do yourselves a favor and try one of Pete's basses) and the two listed above are in the works. I have an acoustic Takamine which is cool and my rig is all set.

I finally realized that I'm out of gas...:confused:

Has anyone else come to this conclusion? Will my G.A.S. pains come back? I welcome your insight...

:cool:

2. Currently about to buy at BTB400 Ibanez. No gas for anything else, apart from one pedal.

3. Notice my sig ;)

I am also GAS free at the moment but I don't know how long it will last. There's still a few basses that I would like to have (SX P-bass, Fretless, 6-string) but nothing that I really feel I need now.

It's a good feeling, isn't it? :)

4. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I have all sorts of GAS, and no income. I need a job.

5. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    You may never be GAS free. The fact you are having 2 basses built shows that you are ready and waiting to be satisfied. So long as you have money, you will GAS. If you don't have money, you may find a reason to have GAS, and it may not be basses. It very well could be a rig, studio stuff, accessories etc...

It never ends! So long as you are using the gear to make money you may get satisfied eventually. It seems many people on here either want to collect, have tools for the job, or seem to be dissatified with feel/tone. Good luck on this whole GAS free thing.

;)

6. Fathand

Fathand

Sep 24, 2005
    Finland
    I've never heard that G.A.S could be cured. :eyebrow:

Common information is that:
    "G.A.S = Non-lethal, uncurable syndrome that harms most marriages, credit limits and the credibility of the phrase "Now I have enough instruments/amps/effects etc."

...so fear not, you still have it!

...and you COULD go your local shops & test some gear. Just for the fun of it. No strings attached. ;)

7. I have serious fretless GAS at the moment

8. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I haven't had GAS for quite some time now, I'm totally happy with my basses and gear :bassist:

However, I do a fair amount of bass trading/swapping/selling and rehab stuff just because it's fun and actually has become my hobby. On the one hand, I have my working/gigging basses that will never be sold, and then there are the "hobby" basses .....

I love to look at nice instruments, love to fool around with them when I can, so many are truely magnificent, but I can't remember thinking "I've got to have X or Y bass" except for when I first started playing a 6 ..... I had BAD GAS for a 6 :eek:

The cool thing is that the trading "hobby" has given me some incredible basses that have remained in the stable once I got them :D

Yeah, I must admit I do love basses, but I don't let myself get caught up in the irrational gotta-have-it-now GAS thing .... :cool:

9. There will likely always be more that I want...:oops: :rollno:

My first priority right now is to get another cab...

10. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Oh man, be sure to tell us about the Alleva-Coppolo after you get it.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 His basses are amazing, IMHO, and the price is a lot less that what I would expect an instrument of such quality to sell for (not that you need to raise prices or anything, Pete! :p).

Well, I really should be cured, but I've got to tell you, I got it bad! :help:

12. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Well, I have a DJ5 on the way as of yesterday and I'm hoping that will help me be GAS-free for a while (at least 6 months)... otherwise my wife might make me house-free :)

5 basses in 10 months now... amongst other stuff. It must stop!
    ---
    Chris

13. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    You'll get a full report.

And I am quite happy with my rig. I have a GK1001RB with a Schroeder 1212. It's an awesome setup. I love my Schroeder, I think it's the best cab on the market.

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Interested mostly in the Valenti 5. I'd like to try a fiver with a high C.

On the other hand, be glad you're not a multi-instrumentalist. I hack on keys, but they're expensive and they're all different. Lately I've dropped about a grand on keyboards and accessories. Telecaster is soon on the list, could always go for a nice Yamaha tenor sax, maybe a YTS-62, not to mention new strings for the upright.

Oh, we're talking electric bass GAS... got some of that too.

And a Harley.

15. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If you want me to give you some GAS, messers Ritter and Drozd are on standby...

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I will never be cured, but I am in control...for now. My rig is set, maybe an effect pedal or two. I would like a fretless, but don't really need one.

Being on this and other forums is NOT helpful.

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I'll never be GAS free.

18. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    The ONLY thing that tames my GAS is my unquenchable thirst to blow all my savings on travel every summer. If I didn't save all year to go to overseas, I'd probably have all sorts of gear.

19. darkblack99

darkblack99 Supporting Member

Too much G.A.S. can lead to to a backlog in your A.R.S.E.*

*Acquisitional Repair and Set-up Estimation

:p

20. I GAS bad at the moment for a Cort Artisan A5 (owned one once) and an old Ibanez RB960.Not high end at any stretch but both great underrated basses.Have one of each in the works but can only afford one.
    AAAAHHHHHHH!
    I'm OK now.....