I'm picking up FM Radio Signals...Help!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gwaps2dmax, Dec 8, 2003.

1. gwaps2dmax

Dec 8, 2003
    I'm playing a warwick thumb 4 string bolt-on. It occasionaly picks up weak FM radio signals when on active mode. Is there a way to cure this problem besides selling my bass? HELP!!!!
  2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I've heard a few other people have had this problem bro, email warwick at danadgoods.com or something or like, check the warwick site for whatever their email is, the site is warwickbass.com. I think all you gotta do is shield the pickups and the control cavity better. I'm not sure, but you're not the only one with the problem bro so someone else has to have a solution.
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I have the same problem, but not on a bass, it's on the amp that I use to run my home stereo subwoofer. It's not loud enough to bug me when I'm listening to music, but in quiet parts of a movie it can get annoying. What should I do?
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmm... there was a guy, also with an older Thumb, who had the exact same problem... wait till he chechs back - or do a search (a good keyword would be radio maybe - he even had a very similar thread title). Good luck with the search! (and enjoy your Thumb!)
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I was playing my Spector Rebop5, w/ active EMG pups. I was picking up a conversation on those two way Nextels. It was very faint but I could hear the whole conversation. Not enough to bother me...
  6. I've had it happen before but never with my Warwick(Thumb 5), or consistently enough to really worry about. I always thought it was my amp picking up the signals though. Hmmm... interesting.
  7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Try a different brand cord, one with more insulation. Some times your cord acts like an antenna for strange RF Signals.
  8. I've always known it to be the amp. Try a new cord, but first try wiggling it, and checking the power cable, make sure it's grounded, and if it is, try UN grounding it for a while, or try a power conditioner. I doubt it's the bass..... (and if it is, it's probably a shielding problem you could fix with grounding your sheilding.)
  9. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    the same happens to me, but it happens on more than just one bass. another kicker is that it doesnt happen when i plug in to certain electrical outlets. what's the difference in the outlets? the ground. that third little prong. don't be fooled by those 3 to 2 prong adapter things, they dont fix it. just try to find a place to plug in with that third hole. im not sure if power conditioners help, but who knows, maybe they do. hope that helped.
  10. MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    My Spector ns-4crfm with EMG 18v when used with any Gallien Krueger head is a police scanner. In the past I had to be using a cheap wireless to pickup truckers CB radios but now I dont need the wireless.