Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Im planning my new Valenti! I need help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick man, Mar 29, 2004.

Which color combo should I go with?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2004.
  1. Ash body-Tobacco Burst-Maple Board (Tort Gaurd)

40.0%
  2. Alder body-Sherwood Green-Maple Board (Off White Gaurd)

7.3%
  3. Alder body-Sherwood Green-Pau Ferro Board (Off White Gaurd)

20.0%
  4. Alder body-Fiesta Red-Maple Board (Off White Gaurd)

3.6%
  5. Alder Body-Bright Red-Maple Board (Off White Gaurd)

3.6%
  6. Alder Body-Bright Red-Pau Ferro Board (Off White Gaurd)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Alder Body-Black-Maple Board (Tort Gaurd)

10.9%
  8. Alder Body-Black-Pau Ferro Board (Tort Gaurd)

14.5%
  1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hows it going TB?

I was looking for a replacement for my G&L L-2500 which I found wasnt working for me anymore and I realized that I might as well go all the way and have Nino-Brown put a bass together for me. After all, the Shoreline Gold bass I bought off of him is my favorite bass, and he sent me his very atractive price list.

So I put together some specs today and this is what I came up with:

5 string jazz style bass

EMG 40PCS in the P position
    EMG 40TW in the bridge position
    Aguilar OPB3
    Volume(pull for coil split on the 40TW), Blend(wired backwards), mid/mid sweep, treble/bass.

Hipshot ultralight cloverleaf tuners
    Gotoh Quick release bridge
    Schaller straplocks
    Chrome hardware with black knobs

Now here is where Im having trouble; I cant decide what finish I should go with!

Im thinking:

[​IMG]Ash body in tobacco burst and a tort gaurd with a maple board.

OR

Alder body in:
    [​IMG]Sherwood green with an off white gaurd like on my other Valenti.
    [​IMG]Fiesta red with an off white'ish gaurd like on my other Valenti.
    [​IMG]Bright red with an off white'ish gaurd like on my other Valenti.
    [​IMG]Black with a tort gaurd.

Id get a matching headstock on the solid color finishes and Im leaning towards a maple board on all the colors except for black, bright red, and sherwood green where Im thinking pau ferro or maple.

Here is my fabulous Valenti bass in shoreline gold:D. Im a very proud owner.
    [​IMG]

A lot of what I mentioned are standard features, but some of it is special request so Im not sure all of it will be possible but from talking to Nino about other basses I was planning (but will now have to postpone since I really need a 5) I know that he is really great to deal with and puts together a great product at an awesome price.

Let me know what you guys think I should do.

Peace
    Nick

2. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i dont know about you, but to me the fiesta red looks pink

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, Its kinda an orangey pink, but its still cool.

Peace
    Nick

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ash body, tobacco burst, tort pickguard and maple board.......if I was you that's the one I'd go for........hmmmmm.....that's got me thinking! :eek:

5. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I like Sherwood green. It's kind of a throw back to a classic Fender Jazz bass or something :) Just me though... :D

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If you are thinking, you should send Nino-Brown an e-mail, Im sure you'll find something nice.

Thats what Im leaning towards too.

Im gonna give it a little more time though.

Peace
    Nick

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Just wondering, what's Nino's price list, does he also make lefties and ship internationally? :D

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Black/Tort/Rosewood (preferably w/ matching headstock)

No contest.

9. Im voting Ash and maple because you already have the alder bodies pau-ferro boarded jazz; even with different electronics it'd be more interesting in my oppinion to have a completely different wood and fingerboard.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    http://valentibass.cjb.net

Here is a temp site with a pricelist till I get something more professional made.

PLEASE, ignore the price on the 5 string bass at the bottom. :p

I'll make a lefty & I will ship internationally.

11. "This bass will sell for $1437407407409.99 with hardshell case."

Hmmm...*looks around*
    Someone got a few bucks i can borrow? :D

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Very nice bass! I went with the fist option.

I think it would also be cool to have a bass with a clear pickguard.;)

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sherwood green! For the love of all that is holy, sherwood green! I voted for maple board, but either would be hot.

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Awesome! I know I won't have some cash to spare anytime soon, but I know my Valenti bass of choice would be be a lefty fiver in Sherwood Green with an ash body, a maple fretboard, a tortoise pickguard and the OBP-3. Or perhaps it would look better with a Pau Ferro board, but I simply like maple fretboards too much. I'll let you know when I have the cash. :D

By the way, what is the fretboard radius on your basses (I like 'em flat) and which pickups will give me the punchiest sound?

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree on the Pau Ferro, its bright enough for me without sounding too brittle.

Im not really too into reds but I figured that Fiesta Red really stands out nicely and is different.

Definetly a winning combination but its not going on this bass. I already have one black bass with a matching headstock and I was planning another Valenti 4 string before the need for a new 5 string popped up that would have been a black P body with a maple board and matching headstock. It woulda had a gold annodized(sp?) pickgaurd EMG PJ pickups and Aguilar OPB-1 electronics. I was also doing some searching to see if I could get binding and star inlays down the neck and my tattoo at the 12 fret.

I think Im gonna wait till I get that bass put together before I get another black on black bass.

While I see where you are comming from I just love the way my 4 string Valenti cuts through the mix that Im scared to mess with the formula too much. We'll have to see what it all comes down to.

Yeah I think Im gonna go with the Green Pau Ferro combo. Its a pretty killer color and you dont see it around much.

Peace
    Nick

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My thoughts exactly. :bassist:

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive decided Im going with Sherwood Green with a mint pickgaurd, maple neck and Pau ferro board with no inlays and matching headstock.

Pickups and pre-amp are still a little iffy but I figure if I go with EMG 40 series routes I have plenty of choices I can easily drop in. They even offer the same pickups as the ones in my gold Valenti in that casing so Ive got plenty of possibilities.

The full list of specs will show up once I discuss this more with Nino. :D

Peace
    Nick

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The Valenti I was thinking of is starting to sound like a Lakland disguised as a Jazz.

I was asking Nino the other week for an estimate on a 35" fiver, with the wide string spacing, and MM/J pickups of a 55-94, but a Jazz body and a Fender shaped headstock. The idea I had to get around the legal issue on the headstock was to make it a 3+2, even with the Fender shape it would be different.

Nino didn't think he could get away with headstock idea. :(

He had some lame excuse about lawyers this, lawsuit that, and blahblahblahyadda yadda.

But I still think that this is what I want. *sigh*

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think you would be pleasantly suprised if you went with the standard Valenti headstock. It might not be the classic Fender design, but once you give it a chance it really grows on you.

Besides that, if it plays and feels anything like my gold bass you wont care if it looks like a Wishenevski (sp?).

Peace
    Nick

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Nick that combo would be very cool on a Telecaster Bass.Have you thoght of getting a hollow jazz body?. Nino's using Warmoth and they do that their.