Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm planning on building my own cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, Jul 22, 2005.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I've been pretty bored this summer. On the days my band's not practicing, the only thing I do is sleep and empty the dishwasher. I've tried getting a job, but with no luck. So I've got this extra Peavey Black Widow 15 lying around here, in need of a cabinet, so I thought about putting it in a folded horn, similar to the Acoustic 301 cab, but using a 15 instead of an 18. I also wanted to make the cab 42" high instead of 48", so it'd stack horizontally with a replica Sunn 200s cab I also plan to build using the Weber speakers in my POS Univox cab that's falling apart.

I don't care about how overkill this would be, or how much of a pain it'd be to transport, or how soundguys will murder me. I just want some opinions of my plans for this cab (attached), and if it looks like it will reasonably work. I'm also missing a few dimensions on the Acoustic-style cab, which I would appreciate if somebody helped me with them. :)

http://www.miseo.net/sean/acoustic301replica.jpg
    http://www.miseo.net/sean/sunnbin.jpg

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    That would be a sweet setup. Be sure to post progress pics if you build the cab. :)

Sorry I'm not much help. I don't know anything about building cabs. :p

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I would have thought you'd be better off placing the driver at the top facing backwards and having a single horn of greater length and with a larger mouth. Bill Fitzmaurice is the guru on horns, he may be able to suggest a bass horn design that will work with that 15" in such a relatively small cab.

Alex

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    No offense to Bill, but the 301 cab is a tried & true design. It'll also be much easier to build that his designs. Besides, it's not a small cab at all. what are you talking about? :eyebrow:

5. ...with the 18 that it contained. There are specific parameters for each speaker at which it operates optimally. Do you know that this resized cabinet fits the bill for the 15 that you have? There is a good chance you might construct a 42"x24"x16" fart machine. I'd wait to see what Bill has to say before I discounted his opinion.

Mike

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Part of the design includes a sealed box for the speaker, so it most likely won't fart.

7. TyKao

TyKao

Jun 29, 2003
    Well, maybe you should just PM Bill and ask him. There is a lot of calculation involved in speaker design, so I wouldn't just assume you can shrink the proportions and then everything's just hunky dory. He's been designing horn speaker cabinets for decades and is pretty friendly in my experience. It won't cost you anything to PM him and ask him about building an old style folded horn cab. Worse comes to worst, he doesn't have an answer and you've delayed your sawing and cutting for a couple of days. Maybe he can even point you to a resource that has schematics.

I think Alex Claber meant to say that Bill Fitzmaurice could suggest a design to you that would incorporate the 15" driver in _a_ relatively small cab. He wasn't talking about the dimensions of the 301 cabinet.

8. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I'm going to quote this again for emphasis. Sealed, Ported, Horn loaded -- It doesn't matter what kind of box you're building, you can't just put speakers into any box you fancy and expect the speaker to perform to its full potential.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    And your basis for believing this is . . . ?????

Dude, you are totally in the dark on speaker design. Go out and pick up a book on speaker design and be enlightened.

10. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The 301 cab is a tried and true (and utterly outdated, but that's another thing altogether, I know you like the sound of these vintage rigs...) design. But only if it has the exact correct driver in it. And you're looking to use a modern 15" where an old 18" should reside. Big difference.

Furthermore, it's a pretty small cab for an 15" driven bass horn let alone a 18" driven bass horn. The horn is nowhere near long enough for decent low bass response. I believe the Black Widow has quite a lot of ooomph for a 15" and can probably drive a relatively demanding horn, in which case you can use a smaller throat and therefore fit a longer horn in the box. And it's the length (and thus mouth size) that really matters. I've attached a rough suggestion and also a diagram of probably The state-of-the-art bass horn. The horn I've sketched should get a deeper flatter response than the very short horn of the 301. If you made the cab deeper you'd be able to fit another double fold and that would really make a huge difference.

If you do build something along these lines it will be an utter behemoth of a rig - you'll hear it for miles around!

Alex

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Wow, I really like the look of that horn that you sketched. Would that really work? Got any exact dimensions for it? I'd definately build that if it would really be that much better. Would it throw the sound out into the crowd like the 301, and hold them against the back wall? :smug:

12. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    here is the folding horn cab I'm building from Bill's site :D It will be covered in black tolex w/chrome corners. It has a 12'' in the bottom horn, and 8'' in the front horn....

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    that's cool, but I want it to be (roughly) the same dimensions as the Sunn replica cab so I can stack them horizontally.

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    cool....I just ran my bassman 135 through two 1x18's today, and I got LOUD with a nice amount of overdriver :D

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That's a loud amp as long as you keep the mids as high as possible, and go easy on the lows.

16. alexclaber

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Let me do some reading up on this!

Alternatively, you know what would be really awesome? To adapt Bill's Tuba 18 to the 301 size. How good are you at woodworking?

Check this bad mofo out: http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/plan...id/11?osCsid=e7dc892bb528f2ef8398a98b4112ab72

Crazy though it may seem, this only uses an 8" driver but the design is so cunning that it puts out more bottom than most 2x18" subs! What you could do is build the Tuba 18 cab in the top half of the 301 size cab so it exists downwards into the bottom half of the cab and then extend the horn down through the bottom half and out the lower half of the front. That would put out even more than the Tuba 18 does thanks to the extended horn length and mouth size!

[​IMG]

Alex

17. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    the Tuba18 is meant for home use. The Tuba24 using a 10'', and is better suited for a bass amp cab.

18. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    if you want a bug Tuba check out this one Tuba36, and it uses a 15'' speaker.

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    No Tubas for me thanks, I bought his plans, and they're way out of my league woodworking wise. The directions are also very unclear in certain parts.

Besides, i'd rather use this anyways:
    [​IMG]

Could you get me the exact dimensions & angle measurements if possible? I wanna start this maybe by next weekend. Remember, I want it 42"x24"xwhatever depth is necessary (not to exceed 18" though).

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

20. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    If you're bent on building a horn then I wish you all the luck possible, but I'd highly advise you just build yourself a regular box for the driver. It will be MUCH easier and you'll have a far better chance of it sounding good if you tune it properly and build it with a proper internal volume -- someone should be able to advise you on exactly what internal volume to use with that particular driver.