I'm Playing at the Montreal JazzFest!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jazzin', Apr 20, 2005.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I just found this out today!

My HighSchool Jazz BigBand won gold at the provincial jazz competition, so we were able to apply to play at the Montreal JazzFest. We were accepted!!! We are playing July 8th. I don't know what time of day or at which stage yet. But anyone who will be in montreal for the jazzfest is welcome to watch!

It's an outdoor show btw, so it's free.
  2. No way?! I'll be there for several bands so I'll probably pass by when you're playing. Let me know the exact time and all.
  3. Jazzin'

Well My school band is called the "LaurenHill Academy BigBand V" I think. The V is for five which is for secondary 5 as in 5th and last year of HS for all people who do not live in Quebec.
  4. Wow, man! That's one high-profile gig! Congratulations! Play your best! :bassist:
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    When is it this year?
  6. Oh.......Man.......Good for you. My school also won the Ontario Provincial, and we were recommended to go to Nationals. But our school doesn't want us to go cause it's one week before our exams. Actually I am not sure if we are talking about the same thing, cause somehow they told the Nationals is in B.C.?? I duuno, but good luck on your show!!!
  7. Jazzin'

Thanks, Last year the Nationals were in Montreal, in my suburb too (St.Laurent). My friend from Ottawa played at it and won gold with his band, and was in the Yamaha AllStar BigBand as Alto#1.

I just got more information, it is July 8th at 3:00pm outside of Place Des Artes. The whole jazzfest goes from June 31st to July 10th.

I applied to work there, selling food and stuff. It would be cool to work there.
  8. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That's very cool. High school jazz gigs are always great great opportunities. Those were good times.

You'll have a blast!
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Did you play the provincials in Ottawa back on Saturday, March 2nd? I was there (Napanee District Secondary School Jazz Band, leader: Greg Runions.) We did Minnie the Moocher, Oye Como Va, and Sing, Sing, Sing. I saw a few groups, including a drummerless trio (sax, bass, piano) doing So What in the clinic room (I was moving drum stuff for some other school, the leader asked a couple guys from NDSS for help), a few random bands, and the last one I saw and the one that stuck out in my mind was about 8 or 9 people (I think). They had a REALLY awesome piano player, and they did a fusion-y/jaco-funk tune that went ok, then an absolutely mindblowing Ray Charles song. I couldn't believe the solo the pianist played. It was just spectacular. The bassist was pretty decent -- really good groove on that song -- but he sounded like ass because the amp was CONSTANTLY clipping (gain too high, EQ set by monkeys, and master too low -- I fixed all of this just before we played) and it didn't sound like he was really experienced enough to compensate playing-wise (eg, playing with an uber-light touch) especially on the fast tunes. They also did Sing, Sing, Sing way too uptempo -- the horns couldn't keep up with it, and the drummer was couldn't swing his way out of a paper bag, but the pianist, bassist, and guitarist stick in my memory as being pretty swanky.

PS: If you saw us...my intonation on DB's gotten better, I swear! ;)

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's a great gig, Jazzin'!!! Not only do you get live exposure, but the BET Jazz Channel replays the festival throughout the year.

BTW, is this not the Lauren Hill I'm thinking of, is it???
  11. Jazzin'

What LaurenHill are you thinking of? The singer (Lauryn Hill)? There was a certain year where both my school and the singer played at the jazzfest.

Anyways, if you want to see an INSANE drummer and bassist:bag: , come see us! July 8th @3:00pm.