Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im playing in a hardcore band now...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by steve-o, Dec 8, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i tune my 5 string bossa bass c d g c f..

anyone else do that?

its soemthing new and exciting..and im just glad that im playing bass agian..i started to get worried...

well i showed up last week because my friend was trying out for drums (the singer for my acoustic band)
    there bassist didn't show...we talked i said that i played bass and such..everythign was cool..
    well they played yesturday so i brought my stuff just incase he didn't show again..well he didn't show up and they were very happy to see me there with an amp and bass inhand....

so they were taking photos for the web site..well im in them. in the group photos and everything. so i asked the guitarist if im in...he says yeah were trying to figure out what to tell the other bassist...WOW!!! i feel great..i haven't played bass in months and the first time i do, im choosen for a band..so im feeling good. since my last band dismembered

ok well i had to tell someone...
    thanks
    steve

2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Awesome. I was in a death metal band about a year ago, and even though I play 4 string, I had it tuned D G C F, and every now and then would drop the D for low C. It was okay for a while, but I like thinner gauge strings, and I had to have .115's on my bass(!). Plus I don't really like death metal to begin with, but it was fun while I had the nerves to deal with 4 alcoholic metalheads. :)

Well anyways congrats on playing bass again, it's good to hear when stuff like that happens.

3. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    I play a Dingwall AB1 in a hardcore band...she's a fiver tuned C F Bb Eb Ab. The rest of the band wanted to do dropped C, but that seemed pretty dumb to do on a fiver, so I tuned everything up a half-step. Works great, plus I get the added advantage of listening to figure out what they're playing, instead of following along by sight, since I'm tuned different and all. That really helps me stand out and NOT play what they're playing.

Good luck to you. If you haven't already, I advise you to invest in a good pair of straplocks. ;)

4. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    hardcore what? There's hardcore punk, hardcore emo, hardcore rap, hell I've even gone to a hardcore blues show before.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well lets see..its melodic...all screaming..im trying to let me try some acutally vocals..jsut back up...ill see how it goes...

steve

6. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    sound like Hardcore emo to me. nice. Ever listen to The Movielife?

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    got em on mp3 atm :)

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    nothing like the movie life..more like zao...
    maybe...maybe some underoath..thrice..posin the well

steve

9. lol..I was in a hardcore band, but the singer was an anchor...my vox were better than his ( we got him because I said I'd rather hold my ground on bass and presence)..he had good screams but then again he never learned the covers or worked on new music, he was too too conceited.

blah..I get my bass in standard tuning, sometimes I'd tune it BDADG...it just depended more on feel, nothing special, I didn't need to put it in drop D...lol...

it was definitely a fun band, but that vocalist killed it.