I'm playing piano again and it's paying off!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jun 23, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I took piano lessons for about 4 1/2 years, and after a 4 year hiatus, I've recently found myself getting back into piano. Right now I'm just working through some simple tunes to help me get my techinique and sight reading back, but I'm enjoying it more than ever.

The reason I'm posting this though is by going back and playing piano, it's totally reshaping how I look at the the relationship between harmony and melody. Since a piano is both a harmonic and melodic instrument, it really makes it easy to see exactly what's going on in a piece of music. Counterpoint seems to be making a lot more sense.

While I really have no desire to play piano in a group context (that's what I play bass for) it's really helping to fill in a lot of the gaps with harmony and melody. Even simple tunes out of the John Thompson student books have a lot to offer in terms of actual musicality.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Very true, but since you can do melody and harmony at the same time on piano, it really lets you check out every thing that's going on.

I know that "Piano" wasn't a great title, but I'd thought I'd be a little vague. :D