I'm pretty sure I want to downsize. There... I said it.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matt Call, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Okay. My current setup is an Aguilar GS410 and GK400RB. It's by no means a huge rig; but as I look at the practicality of it... I'm thinking about downsizing.

Here's where I'm at: I play at church twice a week, in coffeeshops (rarely), in a 4-piece rock band, fill in here and there, and give lessons as well. Currently, this is my only amp setup.

I love the sound of 10s, but...

I've really been starting to gain interest in paired 12" cab setups. The more and more I look at it, it just makes more sense. If I went this route, my current plan would be a berg EX/HT112S (or maybe an HT210S).

Otherwise, maybe just lightening up the load and picking up any of the Epi UL cabs. Maybe a 310, or a pair of 112, or even a 115/210 setup. I really like the idea of the UL610 as well. It wouldn't necessarily be downsizing as far as size goes, but it is over 15 lbs. lighter.

My last option is to just go to an IEM system, with a nice preamp. Maybe a Read Purity, or Epi Quest.

Right now I'm playing a Bongo 5 and will be playing a Fender as well sometime within the near future.

What I'm looking for is punch, articulation, deep bass, and crisp highs ideally. I just like feeling the bass. It keeps me in check.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Now don't you feel better now that you've said it?

I came to the same conclusion last year...and figured I'd end up with a 2 box 112 and 210 rig. I even bought a 112 to start the process.

Then I bought a Schroeder 1212... I now have a single small box that's been great!

Good luck in your quest.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you can swing it, and you like the tone, think seriously about an epi 310. even the nyc model is easy to carry, and the ul is light enough to juggle 3. It is definitely on a short wish list of mine.

I've picked up a nyc 310 and an aggie 410 one after the other, and the difference is mind blowing.
  4. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    So basically... any reason I shouldn't do it? I mean, even though I'm only 17, I gotta start caring for the back sooner than later. Am I right, or am I right?

I completely forgot about Accugroove.

:rollno: This is going to be a loong journey...
  5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Well...you don't get the same amount of stage cred from meatheads in the audience or sound guys who think bigger=better.

...and you might have extra room in the car for people to mooch rides, and you won't be able to leave your girlfriend at home using the excuse that you don't have room because of your gear.
  6. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    So ah... UL610. :D
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you can afford it, go for the Epi UL's. i love my UL310 and havent looked back since. :cool:

but hey, a pair of GS112's are a terrific affordable pair of 12" loaded cabs. i do hear a slight dip in the middle mids, but a nice crank of the ol' mid knob'll bring you back into that fat present sound.

still IMHO, the best 12" loaded cabs i've heard are Epifani 12" cabs.
  8. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    With a Schroeder 1210 (or 1212), and thunderfunk TFB550, and your bass in a gig bag, you can walk into damn near any job you're ever gonna do with everything you need in one trip.
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That sounds like a good plan, though as you have figured out, there are lots of really cool choices (this being one of the better options, I'd say).

What does IEM stand for?

10. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I used a pair of Epifani 112's for years and it never let me down. A pair of 112UL's is super portable and loud enough to cut it on just about any gig.

I just picked up a pair of Accugroove Tri112's for gigs where I don't want to lug the Whappo around. I couldn't be happier with it.
  11. Your desciption of punch, articulation and clrisp highs describes the EpiUL line perfectly (IMO). The 310UL (as others have said) is probably the best combination of size (small), weight (silly light) and volume (similar to some 410's) on the market... if that's the sound you are going for.

As a side note, I've been attempting to find a small cab that sounds like a big one for many years (as you can see from my previously owned list on my profile :eek: ). While the tone of some of the smaller cabs was great, the volume projection of all the 210's I tried really left me wanting more on most gigs.

The introduction of the EpiUL line totally changed my focus. I now have a 410UL (and a 310UL). The 410UL is lighter than most of the 210's I've owned through the years, and is the loudest, cleanest, most efficient 410 I've ever played through. So.... I've actually 'upsized but downweighted' my rig.... the best of both worlds... small cab weight and big cab sound... just another way of looking at 'downsizing'.
  12. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    In-ear monitors?

That's what I've always thought it stood for; but I could be completely wrong too.
  13. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I am impressed that you are showing this wisdom at 17. I didn't get smart and save my ears and back until I was 38!

I use a smaller head (Eden WT-550/20lbs.) and a small but powerful cab (Bergantino HT112/38 lbs.) for my rig. I have great tone, and have rarely needed more power or volume.

You don't need a huge rig for a big sound. Congrats to you for realizing this early.
  14. Amen to that. I just replaced an SVT-3pro/PR-410 w/an Eden CXC-110+CX-110(1x10 combo+1x10 cab). This is now my 'house'(church)rig AND road(outreach, etc. w/church band)rig. Smaller, lighter, just as loud, better tone(for me).
  15. Now for the cover shows I use the Demeter/PLX and two EA Wizzy's

For the jazz gigs I use an ART Tube PAC through a Crate SPA-300 and one Wizzy.

Both rigs are very modular, very light, and "oh, so nice" in the tone department.

I've really been very impressed at the flexibility of having 1 or 2 Wizzy's instead of the big 2x12/2x10 setup.

Last couple of shows I actually brought the 2x10 as a stand for the rack case - I faced the 2x10 sideways (and vertically) as a bass monitor for the drummer and the rest of the band (firing across the stage). The two Wizzy's performed flawlessly, and let me tell you, my back could not have cared less that the rig "looked" less impressive than either of the guitarist's 4x12's + rack case.

I'm finding that the modular approach is doing wonders not only physically (in that I much more enjoy setup and tear down), but it also has improved my tone immensely. It's a good time, both technologically and financially, to be a bass player.