1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm ready for a new one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by walkbassman45, Dec 13, 2011.

1. walkbassman45

walkbassman45 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
    I've been playing a Fender Jazz since the eighties and have the funds to get a new Precision bass.I learned on a Precision in the 70's. I am looking at the American Vintage 62 or the 57. I am thinking of going through an online company like Bass Central or another reputable company. I already. Know what I want, I just want to know if there are any pitfalls with buying on the web. What are your opinions on the 62 or 57?
    ?

2. Internet Police

Internet Police

Sep 4, 2011
    There's a thread somewhere in which a guy bought a bass online and the box it came in wasnt fit for a hobo to sleep on. That's certainly a real possibility.

3. LowNotes1

LowNotes1

Jun 8, 2008
    I have only bought two basses online, one from Musician's Friend and another from Rondo. The Rondo bass arrived undamaged, the other looked like someone took a hammer to the headstock. MF sent a replacement which was undamaged, but for all three deliveries, I thought the packaging was unbelievably flimsy.

If I had known in advance how flimsy, I would have been happy to pay a little extra for a sturdier box. If all basses are shipped that way from online commercial stores, it's a wonder to me that they aren't all damaged. As long as the supplier has a no-hassle replacement policy, you should be OK, but it would be a bummer to get an otherwise good bass with cosmetic damage and have it replaced with another that looks fine but sounds and plays worse.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    As long as it's a major retailer you should be alright. Most have fantastic return policies. Honestly, the main thing you need to be worried about is finding a bass that you like. It's easier to do this by going into a local music shop and picking up a bass in person.

5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I think it's always best to try them out in a store first if at all possible.
    Too many unknowns when buying sight unseen.
    Being able to return to MF or whoever is nice, but may be a hassle.
    I've bought instruments online and for the most part have been fortunate to have had no problems.

6. aglide

aglide

Jun 27, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
  7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I ordered a 120mm refractor telescope from one of the best astronomical companies online. When I opened the box there it was with a crooked dust shield. The packaging was not what I would have sent it in myself. Just not sturdy enough to me. So...you never know.

8. I have both the 62 and the 57....both fine basses. I tend to lean towards the 62 (just a tad). I really love them both!

As to the online company - I don't really have a problem with the online concept but you MUST remember that it CAN be a hassle if you are used to hopping in the car and dropping by the local music store.

In the event that there are flaws (for whatever reason) you will have to engage in the pack it- send it dance and that (obviously) can be a bigger hassle than a simple exchange at the local store.

I have dealt with MF on numerous occasions and have always been a happy camper. Although having read numerous complaints about different stores (GC MF SweetWater etc) I would be a little more leary these days!

Good Luck!!

9. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I bought a P Bass from Music123, and it arrived in the original Fender packaging, including the outer box in which Fender ships to the retailer. It also arrived in immaculate condition. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the instrument. I'd buy from a reputable online retailer any day of the week.

10. I've bought TONS of gear from MF and never a problem.
    Recent purchase was an Ampeg PF-210 cab and it was double boxed.

S

11. walkbassman45

walkbassman45 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Cooperstown, N.Y.
    The trouble around here is that the music stores are not carrying what they used too and the fact that the nearest is 72 miles away. I hear what you are saying about trying it out in the store. I have always played a Fender ( about 30 years ) and am really digging the '57 with Antique White and the '62. My first bass was a '74 White Precision with maple neck. It rocked. Well, I could call and drive the 72 miles . They would have to order the bass so thats a couple of trips.
    Hmmmm...... I'll have to look around.....:bassist:

12. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I have bought probably 10 or more basses online, and sold at least that many. never had an issue.

13. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Some basses are just duds...so make sure you buy from a company that has a return policy, just in case you hate the way it sounds/feels.

In regards to the 57 & 62, I heard they don't come with the graphite support rods, and you must remove the neck to make truss adjustments....also that the necks are a bit thicker than the American standards.