Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm Really liking that Hanewinckel

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Aug 8, 2001.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Now that I've had it a few weeks I'm really starting to get into this Hanewinckel 6 string. So far I've just been workin' it out at home, but Saturday I think I'll take it to rehearsal, at least as a back up. It took a while to get used to the string spacing, but now that I am fairly comfortable with it, I find it to be surprisingly easy to slap on. The action is low, but there is no fret buzz. The neck is nice and thin towards the headstock but fans out fairly rapidly by the time you get to the 12th fret, and is downright thick at the 24th. I thought I'd have trouble getting used to it, but no problem.

I will say that it sounds a lot better slapped than fingered. It has a very crisp tone to it. This is in contrast to my primary bass, a 5-string Alembic. The Alembic has a fuller, throatier sound and sounds better fingered than slapped, but has a more even balance between the two styles. At this point I've spent most of my time on the Hanewinckel in active mode. In fact, I tend to forget that the passive switch is there. That might help even out the tonal balance between playing styles, since I use both styles a lot. I've been working the Hanewinckel out mainly to Incognito's "100 & Rising" CD and I'm getting addicted to the sound I get on the title cut, especially the slap run that comes in about a minute and a half into the song. This was definitely a good buy.

Peace,

James

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think you're about to give David Grossman a coronary.

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    If he has a coronary, I got dibs on his basses :D

Peace,

James