Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im really sorry, all i seem to do is post questions about ohms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Jun 2, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    yes yet another question right, if i have a behringer ultrabass head putting out 300w at 4 ohms into two cabinets one is a 1x15 hartke vx cab capable of carrying 300w at 8 ohms and the other is an ashdown mag 2x10 capable of 200w at 8ohms is anything bad going to happen or will the fact that the speakers are both at 8 ohms reduce the power by nearly half. im so sorry for this constant questioning on ohms i just am trying to make sure nothing bad happens coz i know someone whos amp blew up on him and im guessing its coz he didnt make sure the impedences matched and i dont want to happen to me after spending so much money.

2. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Each cab will see 150w, so there will be no problems. I found a website that explained it to me pretty well, let me see if I can find it again.

3. simon

simon

May 19, 2004
    Netherlands
    because you're using 2 cabinets of 8 ohms the total impedance becomes 4 ohms, so your amp puts out the maximum volume of 300 watts. but if i'm not mistaking (and please correct me if i'm wrong) each cab gets 150 watts from your amp because you're running 2 cabs. since both your cabs can handle more than 150 watts there should be no problem, although i'm not entirely sure....hope that helps you a bit, but i'm sure this subject has been treated extensively in earlier topics

(ow btw, this is my first post \o/ )

4. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    you are a genius thank you you have made my birthday

5. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    If it is really your birthday then happy birthday.

http://www.termpro.com/articles/spkrz.html

There is the link I mentioned before, it has to do with Car Subwoofers but the principle is the same.

6. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    thanks and yes it really woz my birthday

7. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Happy B' day and welcome to TB.

Dont feel foolish for not understanding the whole "ohm" thing. Understanding how speakers and amps work together is an important part of being a "working" musician. NTM, that it will save you a ton of coin down the road when you have to replace fried amps and blown speakers because you were running your amp at non-standard load or were overloading your speakers.

PS take some time and fill out your profile. It will help people get a better understanding about you and your equipment and makes answering your questions easier down the raod.