1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm repeating a year at uni...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Urrrgghhh

Worst day of my life. As a lot of TBers will know, I've suffered with a lot of health issues over the last year.

It's had a huge impact on my uni studies to the point where I could hardly work because my depressive moods took over my life and my wrist and hearing also hampered me.

So I'm repeating the year at uni. I've also swapped degree programmes so I don't have to take Latin and Greek (a bit of a bummer but...)

Anyone else done this?

2. I failed out of a couple of classes if that is what you're asking. ;)

3. Depends WHY you failed said classes...

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I semi-repeated my year.

I started of studying german and dutch, after I year I swapped german with theater and film studies, but continued my dutch and general courses. So my dutch and GC were a year ahead of the theater and film.

I dropped german because:

1) It was too hard, only 5 out of 35 passed the first year
    2) The group I was in was quite possibly the worst group ever. Terrible dynamics, people, etc.
    3) After studying the entire summer to pass my re-examinations the bastards gave me a 9 on 20.

Don't sweat it, there's more to life than college imo.

Plus, first year at uni is always tricky. Few people make it through without atleast failing a couple of classes at best, or flunking an entire year at worst. The few who make it through without flaws are those without a life.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I transferred to a completely different school and program after 3 years. I was going to have to take at least an additional year or year and a half. Why? I didn't study enough and I failed several core classes [e.g. aural skills]. It was not financial feasible for me to finish that degree [Jazz bass performance].

So now-I'm in an online program through a community college. I study less than half the amount I did for the academic classes in the jazz program and I get higher grades. Once I put in my 2 years at community college, I'll be transferring to probably Indiana State or Purdue to complete the degree. Indiana State would allow me to do my degree entirely online. Purdue would be ideal, but they don't have an online completion at the moment.

My major is now Business Administration with a Management Concentration. I spend less than 8 hours a week studying and thus far i have all A's.

6. In some ways it's better for me because it means at least I can self-study if I miss shedloads of classes. Plus I've read the material before anyway.

7. I'm lazy.

There I said it. :bawl:

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    I gladly invite you to try to be a basque engineer... then youll realize how much of a flower field the UK Unis are...

9. I'm sure that's not true now...

10. It sounds like you have to repeat a whole year, if I'm not mistaken?
    Uni works a bit different here.
    We usually take seminars that are not connected in any way, so one might have finished literary studies but has to repeat linguistic studies...that's what I had to do.

I failed the "Introductory to English Linguistics" course and had to redo it the following term and then passed it with a pretty bad mark.
    Failed the General Language Course completely...that exam was a horror. Failed the "Spoken English" course the first time.....once again you go.
    Failed my Latin Caesar "De Bello Gallico" course the first time.....do it again.
    In the beginner Latin course we were 111 people and 36 passed. In the third and last course we were 58 and 13 passed.....lucky me I was one of them.

Meanwhile I collapsed once and lost my hearing on one side....and I wasn't the only one facing these problems.

oh...btw thank you for the Latin pms!!!!!

11. I failed pretty much all my classes so even if it was a case of repeating only the modules I'd failed then it wouldn't make much of a difference.

12. I withdrew to prevent failure last year. Now i'm at community college with a much more manageable workload.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    See signature.

14. I had to repeat my 3rd year at uni (generally honours degrees are 4 years in scotland).

Number of reasons really, I wasnt working hard enough, my fathers health hadnt been great that year (in-out of hospital) and I lost a friend just before my exams.

Thing is, the 2nd time round, it was alot easier, and it really provided the reality check I needed to get into my studies properly and work harder.

I ended up with a 2:1 honours, if it wasnt for me resitting that year, I honestly think I would have walked away with a 2:2 or a 3. I think it really really did help give me the kick in the a$$ that I needed :)

15. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I had to skip a couple of semesters, so I'm a year behind.

I almost had to drop last semester too because of health problems, but I bit my lip, dug my feet in, and pushed through like the stubborn bastard I am. My GPA dropped to a 3.5, but I made it. I'd be dammed if I had to drop another semester.

16. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    It's not so much in terms of years here (although we often refer to college students in those terms).

I changed majors in my 4th year due to flunking upper level calculus 3 times. I was a combination computer science / music performance major. I burned out on the music major in my third year and said to heck with the CS in my fourth. Ended up a political science (pre-law) major with CS minor.

-Mark

17. im on my 3rd freshman year, but i changed majors, and with my new major id have to be insane to attempt to graduate in 4 years.

18. I'm in the same boat pretty much. I crashed and burned in a major way this year due to issues with depression and anxiety, lots of failing and not doing and work. I'll probably have to repeat a few subjects, sucks but these things happen.

19. Brim

Brim

Nov 20, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    I took 6.5 years to finish a 4-year degree. Switched majors three times. Bombed a few classes that wore absolutely boring. Best time of my life!

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've failed a semester's worth of classes, and instead of graduating a semester early, I may graduate a semester late, in the end I'm at least repeating a semester.