1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm rockin' the Squire...oh yes I did

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mward69, Jan 16, 2012.

1. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    Yep...Rockin the Modified 5 banger...Modded {hardware} :bassist:
    I used to play the Real Fenders, then went with a Marcus Miller bass..sold it :rollno:
    I had a Squire as a backup, I used to remove the name from the head stock because I couldn't stand the darn things..:D

I LOVE my Modified Squier!!! And I am going to stir the pot a bit here....
    1st, there is NO diff. in sound or tone.
    2nd...the ONLY difference in the American Fenders and the Squires is the NAME and Factory.

Lots of post here about the wood and ect....Look, Fender doesn't have a secret forest of tree's that are maintained by Tree fairies. Hardwood is hardwood...There is NO difference.
    Craftsmanship.....the difference? One is Here in America, one isn't :smug:
    Electronics.....Wire is wire....Copper is Copper....it conducts electricity....doesn't matter if it's American or Martian copper.
    Hardware.....YES, slap some new tuners and a new bridge on her arse and guess what....YOU HAVE THE SAME BASS OTHER THAN THE NAME.....
    I will put my bass tone up against ANY $2000 fender and will match it without anyone noticing the diff.

Let the flaming begin....in 5,4,3,2,1..........
    :D

2. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Whatever - Cant stand up to my MIA jazz

3. No flame from me - My Squier 60's CV P Bass is the best bass I have ever played.

Keep Rockin that Squier!

4. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Reverse the i and e in "Squier" and you'll get reduced flaming. Other than that, glad you dig your bass. Squier does have a few good models.:bassist:

5. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    Meaning....?

Tone?
    Sound?

Your opinion....:D Bro, I have owned and played BOTH. I have been playing for 20 yrs. I have owned a 68 Jazz, a 73, once from the 80's, a Marcus Miller.....

Tell me what the diff. is? Other than the fact you "MIA" guys HATE the fact a Squier CAN get the SAME tone for 1/4 the price :D

6. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    LOL...OOPS.....damn MIJ Keyboards.....:D

7. kuys

kuys

Jun 29, 2010
    I work in a music store and handle, play and setup instruments daily.

Which is funny because two years ago I knew jack. But thats beside the point.

I would echo your thoughts. The difference between the MIA jazz and the two classic vibes on the wall right now are....slim. When you factor in the price difference. Fun fact MIA necks are cut here but finished in Mexico.

I wouldnt tell your average joe in the store that....but, there you have it.

8. There are alot of differences , USA fenders are going to have a more stable neck on average, smoother and better gear ratio tuners and a body that can take a ding better , there just overall better but is a MIA fender worth 4-5 times that of a squier VM, no. You could get the VM drop hipshot tuners on it and be 95% of the way there , but those that can afford it pay for that extra 5% , in my case its worth it because i by used and can get what i paid for my basses back and i rather do that then buy a squier i lose money on.

Just my opinion and total i have probably owned 60 fender/squier instruments

9. These threads always crack me up :D

10. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA

11. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Don't confuse value with quality. You don't see professional, world class bassist who main a a Squier. There IS a difference.

12. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Regardless of whether it says “Squier” or “Fender” on the headstock, if you like it and can afford it, buy it. They're all good instruments for the most part with a few lemons here and there.

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I agree and besides my 75' Musicmaster I only play Squiers now. I do prefer the MIJ early 80's models but the CV and VM Squiers are great basses. I don't miss my MIA Fenders at all.