I'm scared,hold me

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gopherbassist, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    My employer is sending me to Mississippi. I had hoped never to go there, as the opinions of people that I trust have all been bad. Should I expect horros unknowable, or have the rumors I've heard simply been trumped up for dramatic effect? Tell me your stories, TalkBass.

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Sometimes I find myself engaged in activities that may strand me in Ohio or West Virginia. Take a reasonable amount of cash, if the locals can't use English it may work for bargaining. Not too much or Deliverance style things may happen, but enough to show you mean business. Take some beads as well, good bartering. Work on signing, and if all else fails avoid eye contact and don't move; their vision is most likely based on motion.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    As long as you like fried brown food you will be fine.

4. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    I've never been there and have created all my stereotypes of Mississippi based on the movie "Mississippi Burning".

5. RxFunk

RxFunk

Dec 2, 2012
    Arizona
    What part? I was born in Columbus, Mississippi, and I visit regularly, so I may be able to help depending on where you're going.

6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    haw d'laak miss hippie?

7. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    I was in Merridian once, I was 17 & some crack heads were beating on our motel door. M Dad was an x cop. He handed me his pistol & said if anything went south to take care of it. I always think of Mississippi & that situation together.

8. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Don't be scurred. The roads suck, but it's no worse than Louisiana. Or at least that's the impression I got the only time I went there. Vicksburg is pretty nice if that's where you're headed.

9. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    They do things a bit differently in Mississippi. Take DerHoggz advise and bring some bartering stuff. And some shiney things. As with squirrels, shiney objects have great value.

10. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    No. Nothing shiny. Bring liquor and pseuphedrine. They'll love you rather than think you're a fancy pants yankee.

11. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Bring toothpaste for bartering....seems to be in short supply.

12. RxFunk

RxFunk

Dec 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Don't go to Walmart on Friday night, that's when the Hill people go. I'm serious. Do not go to Walmart on Friday night.

13. Thread full of win is full of win

14. Don't be too ethnic or you will get arrested. I know from experience

15. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    the first question you need to ask you employer:

Is that a dry county?

I spent the longest weekend of my life in Jackson Mississippi.

16. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Hahaha

17. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Threads like this are stupid.

18. That is where the tooth brush was invented. Any other place and it would be called a "teeth brush."

19. Without ever stepping foot in the US let alone Mississippi I too have created stereotypes based upon this movie... Stay away! It's not too late!

20. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Specifically where in Mississippi?
    I'd imagine that it's like anywhere else in having some great places and some not-so-great places.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021