I'm Scared

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Justin V, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Why am I so frightened?

I'll tell you. Whenever I play for a while or hit the strings really hard on my Peavey amp (which is also running into my Fender), the speaker on the Peavey goes crazy for a second and just starts thumbing and sounding weird. Is there something wrong with my amp. I figure it'll take me at least eight months for me to get enough money into my "amp" acount to buy the rig I want (at least 800 watts and an 8x10). So I'm kind of stuck with the Peavey.

If that made any sense to anyone out there...HELP!!! (sorry for screaming) :eek:
  2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Uhh... I think you're doing something wrong. Generally that's what's considered clipping.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think Crawling is probably right but just to be sure - does this happen even when you pound on the D and G strings, too? Or just the E and/or A?

If it's just the lower string(s) it's almost always clipping.....like a "bwwwppp" sound, (a.k.a. "farting out", "distortion"), right?

When your attack is harder and the frequency is lower, the wattage you're sending through your speakers is increased. That's why there's RMS, (constant power with normal playing) and peak power, which is where you're going when you slam the thing. Lower notes use more juice. Probably, your speakers can't handle the load.
  4. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    And if you do need to get a new amp, you probably won't be needing 800W and an 8x10 if you're using a small amp right now.
    Unless you're playing some fairly big rooms, 450W or less and a 4x10 should suit you fine.
  5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    One last thing, on the note of you saying "I'm stuck with a Peavey"...

I wouldn't go complaining about Peavey's just based off of your experiences with the TNT's. TNT's are one of the lower quality Peavey's.

I have use a Peavey Firebass II 700, a Peavey 410TXF, and a Peavey 115BXBW. Which produces 700 watts... And IMO gets an incredible tone.

I think you should take that into consideration.

If you want to get a good idea of what a good Peavey rig sounds like, and you like 10"'s, check out the Peavey 8x10 with a Peavey Firebass II 700 head.

It should give you 475 watts... Which should more then do the trick for anything you'll need.

My 700 watt rig's incredible, and provides me with all the punch anyone could ask for, along with a really smooth sound.

(2 cents)

Back on topic though, you very well may have blown your speaker. In that case, if you do stick with the TNT, I suggest upgrading the 15" to a Black Widow.

I'm guessing you have either a Sheffield or a Scorpion in it... The Scorpion 15"'s are better then the Sheffield's... But the best Peavey speaker (and a VERY good speaker, in general) is the Peavey Black Widow.

(2 cents)

$.2 + $.2 = $.4

So... "Just my 4 cents"
  6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Thank you for your help. I think I may have figured out the problem on my own (i just played with the settings).

By the way the amp came with a Black Widow in it. I don't think I blew out the speaker (if I did I'm screwed) because it still sounds pretty good. The crossover thing on the Peavey makes it sound awesome when used with my Fender Bassman 25.
  7. I'm using a TKO 115 right now... do you know what speaker comes stock in it?

And about how much is a black widow?
  8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

A TKO's a lower model than the TNT. I'm not quite sure about the TKO... I believe the earlier ones used Sheffield's, and the more recent one's use Scorpion's.

The price varies, give your local Peavey dealer a call and ask about the Black Widow's.
  9. Check the bottom of the amp. The little Chrome panel should say either Sheffield Equipped (Which mine does, and yours prolly will also) or B W Equipped.

And I've clipped mine tons when it was my only amp. Cheap extra amplifier. Had it a long time now. I'm not saying push it till it sounds bad, but that thing isn't a volume monster. But it is a perfect practice amp. Doesn't shake everything to death while you're trying to learn along to a CD. Very crisp sound as well. Matter of fact, I think it works nearly perfectly as a vocal amp for us during practice. Even ran a keyboard through it for a while.