I'm Scared

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Ok, so last weekend I was at my friends house with my amp (Ashdown MAG 400/410) and he was "tapping" (between tapping and banging) a beat out on the top of the amp when on his final tap a huge flash was emitted from the back of the head! So, I didn't get the chance to use the amp again until this weekend at band practice. When I started to play the VU meter would peak beyond the read with the input volume at almost 0 and me running through the low input. I also noticed that almost no air was flowing through the front of the vents in the head from the fans, although the room we played in was sweltering hot. So, I decided to let it rest until yesterday when I noticed that it was playing just fine with normal VU readings and fan flow. This being as reassuring as it is, still causes some to concern about the huge flash that went off inside the head, especially considering that the head is encased in the body of the cab (see picture). Any ideas about what happened and/or what to do?

2. basses5

Oct 31, 2002
    Nuttboy, get amp checked by an amp tech. Could possibly be a loose fan connection but get it checked by a pro.:oops:
  3. I don't think it was that since the fans were still running at my practice, but it was only pumping hot air through, probably due to the heat in the room.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, I doubt this is the case with you, but mine did that when I turned my amp on to, as well as tapped on it.... turned out to be a flaky switch.