1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm screwed please help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Kobaia, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    :crying: i'm putting straplocks on my new bass, unfortunatly while i was installing it I compeletly stripped the screw with about 1/10 of an inch left to go :( :help:

2. RD

RD

Jun 17, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    You can break off some toothpicks in the hole and screw into that. I usually put a drop of elmer's into the hole with the toothpicks before I drive the screw in. It's an old trick. Good luck!
    RD

3. DopplerShift

DopplerShift

Apr 19, 2005
    Chicago Area
    Do you mean the metal screw itself or the hole in the bass?

4. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    Personally, I prefer to take a nail, and spread some epoxy on the threads inside the hole (but don't fill the hole).

Another trick is to use a toothpick and spread some superglue on the threads (as with epoxy above).

In either case, don't fill the hole, and LET THE GLUE DRY BEFORE YOU REINSERT THE SCREW.

Toothpick works too, per the earlier post.

5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I think they are speaking of the screw itself, I've come close to doing that. If the screw is too tight it can cause trouble, I always use soap on the screw. Now to fix what you have to do is take a breath and push down as hard as you can with your best screwdriver and see if you can get it to move the last bit to allow the strap lock to fit in the hole. I suppose the only other option is to drill into it and and use a screw extractor.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

6. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    so we're on the same page this is the part thats messed up screw_camera.

7. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    If you mean you've destroyed the Phillips drive head, then your best option is a drill and a screw extractor.

If you've damaged the wood that's supposed to be holding the screw, see directions above about packing the hole with bits of wood and glue, then re-drilling the hole.

8. Yup remove the old screw and replace it.
    If you are near a Home Depot, the have both the drill type and another type that digs in without drilling.
    They are handy to have around.

MM