I'm screwed.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ausf, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    I just tried a few new Stingrays.

I can't go back to my Highway One. :crying:

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    haha!

your not screwed, just save up for a stingray! there are some great ones in the classifieds. i have always wanted one, but never pulled the trigger.

maybe one day...

3. TLW

TLW

Dec 23, 2007
    St.Louis, MO area
    sell your HWY1, save a little, and get a new stingray

4. I have a 2002 for sale...

5. Don't worry. Just keep your Highway One and get a 'Ray. Preferences in basses is like fashion... eventually it'll come around full circle... what was old is new again.

I started out on a P Bass... through the decades I moved to J basses, 'Rays and recently found my ultimate bass... an ATK700. Guess what, I'm now groovin' the P Bass tone. Maybe it's the bass equivalent of a mid-life crisis... the grass seemed to be greener when you were younger. :help:;)

6. TLW

TLW

Dec 23, 2007
    St.Louis, MO area
    :eyebrow: thats not new...

7. i dont know why but that made me lol.:smug:

8. As someone who has gone back and forth between 2 Highway 1 J's and 3 stingrays (and multiple other J-type basses) - the grass always seems greener on the other side of the fence.

I will say this - I have certainly found a J style bass to be more versatile. Try playing a 'Ray on a slower, more grove oriented ballad or something, and that 'Ray CLANK (due, IMO to the Pre-amp and the fret material) just doesn't work. Never the less, I still love a 'Ray.

9. +1

What you love today, you'll hate tomorrow, then love again next week.

10. Oooh... creepy.

11. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Have you tried an HH StingRay? From what I hear from others (and have experienced in very limited music store playing) they are every bit as versatile as the J-Bass, if not more.

Just a thot.

12. serein2j

serein2j

May 25, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I love stingrays and its sound but I will never get them because their neck is just not for me.
    Some people say get a Sterling, but I wasn't able to get the tone I liked.

So I'm just sticking with my J and P/J along with T-40

13. AQUANOVA

AQUANOVA

Sep 13, 2000
    Santa Monica
    You were used to eating vanilla ice cream.
    Then you tried a hot fudge sundae with rainbow sprinkles.
    Yes, it is awesome. Yes it opens doors.
    Save up and get it.
    Just don't get rid of your Highway One.
    Someday you will be in the mood for plain vanilla again,... someday sooner than you think.

14. Bloodfist

Bloodfist

Mar 18, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    +100 I have the HH, and that "Ray Clank" must be on the older single humbucker models. The HH will give you pretty much any tone you want and quickly. For example, one of the songs my band just wrote requires the bass to be growly, and smooth. I play it with a pick in the 1st position to give it that classic stingray growl, then for the bridge i switch to the 3rd position and ply finger style.

These two videos are of me playing my HH ray at a show last November. Sorry for the long intro on the first video, but that was how we opened the show. The first video is played with a pick in the 1 position using the back humbucker like a classic Stingray. You'll notice that "Clank" sound in it, which I really dig. The second video is me playing finger style in the 3rd position, with both humbuckers on. Now keep in mind I'm not a "knob dicker" with the eq's on my bass, I set everything at full and go with it. The only adjustment I made between the two songs is switching pickups, and playing one with a pick and one without. Even if you don't care for the music, you'll notice how much that stingray cuts through the mix. My guitarist is using a Mesa Triaxis/Mesa 290 power amp, and that thing will swallow most basses trying to cut through the mix. My amp is just an Ampeg SVT3Pro and Ampeg 410HLF Classic Cabinet, combined with that stingray, it dominates anything you put in its way. Check it out and see if you still want to hold onto that Fender...

15. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I have Stingrays and Bongos galore. (Yes, I gave up counting and now just say 'galore'.)

Last night, I got out my Jazz bass and played it for three hours. I was in the mood for it! It was great!

But today I don't want to play it. Today, I think I will play a Stingray 5.

Keep your Hwy 1 if you dig it.

Save for a Stingray.

Be like me! (Only under strict supervision)

Jack

16. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    There was more than just the sound that attracted me. The Ray I liked was rosewood like my P, but it just seemed brighter (before plugging in).

Kind of like using a 100 watt bulb when I'm used to a night light. At first it hurt my eyes, but then opened a whole new world I wasn't seeing before.

17. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Great advice and couldn't agree more....I have been on a vanilla kick lately

18. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The funny thing about that....
    I still love and prefer vanilla ice cream. I always got funny looks from friends and 31 Flavors employees saying 'that's all you want'? I get sick of fudge real quick, and sprinkles I really dont like....

My advice: Save up for the Ray, and keep the P and put some flats on it.

19. You don't have to choose, just aquire.
    That's how collections are made.

S.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021