Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm seeing victor wooten tonight!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ace123, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I'm so excited to see one of the greatest bass players alive tonight starting off his tour here in Rochester. I know this show is going to be inspiring and just all around excellent!
    I'll give you guys all a review tomorrow.

Any else ever see him/going to see him?

2. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    That's awesome, ace. Wish I got to see Vic. Let me know about the show, OK?

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Psh. So? I get to stay home, watch Law&Order, and eat macaroni.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I saw him in December with the Flecktones. What a show! It really is a treat to see him live, especially if he does his looping/sampling solo. Unfreakingbelievable.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm missing his west coast tour this year, I will just happen to be living in boston then. what a bummer, it's a lot of fun to see him live.

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I also saw him in december with the flecks. His looping solo was incredible.

7. I saw him live with his brothers last year, and then again with the Flecktones at the end of last year (it still sounds kinda weird saying that...)

I certainly loved his rendition of Birdland. :p

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I got a chance to go to GC, pick up my new Metro, and have a listen to our very own neptoon's demo CD....then i had a spicy chicken meal from Wendys

Wooten-schmooten.......hehehe :D

actually, i have never heard him play....i prolly should...i always heard good things about him.....

-Mike

9. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Wow..
    That show was incredible.
    It was easily the most talented and fun show i've ever seen.

I got there right when he came on stage (perfect timing) and it was Victor, his brother regi on a sick orange guitar, his other brother joseph on the keyboards, a drummer who wasn't a wooten (don't remember his name), a guy playing another bass i think his name was anthony something but they called him Flex, a girl called "MC Divinity" who also played bass and rapped during the songs, and JD Blair on i think (there was a speaker blocking him from where i was standing) the electrical drums/turn tables. But i honestly don't know. I know that he had some kind of drums over there casue i heard it but i'm not sure about the turntables.

Anyway, victor started off playing his yin yang fodera bass. He opened with a WHAT DID HE SAY. which is a crazy song. Vic is a machine on the bass! It was just incredible seeing him live. He is so damn fast and its incredible how accurate he is with the notes. After a few more songs (some of which Joseph wooten proved to be beyond incredible on the keyboards), Victor left the stage and MC Divinity came on for three songs. She had some chops on the bass! She was pretty funky and it was cool to see her (whoever she is) play. Then victor came back on and he introduced us to who he called "The Teacher", his brother Regi Wooten.

As good as Victor is, Regi is just as good if not better. Regi wooten was INCREDIBLE on guitar. He tapped a huge solo which went into hendrix's star spangled banner and it blew me away. I can't even comprehend what i saw. He was tapping so fast and so perfect and it was just outrageous.
    After Regi's solo there was a drum solo and that guy was good too! It was incredible how much talent the brothers (and guests) portrayed. Like i said before, it was the most talent i've ever seen before. I was blown away by how good these guys were!

Then victor came on solo and he did a jam using his looper. That was awesome. He busted out a 6 string yin yang bass for that and he was playing some kind of talk bass (no pun intended). Like he had this thing around his mouth and as he played the bass he blew in the object in his mouth and it came out like a talkbox sound. It was (once again) Incredible. He then played his version of amazing grace and that got real funky and was crazy.

The last song of the night was "Me and my bass guitar" and it was the song of the show/night. Victor played 5 different basses during the song and as he ended a solo he would take off his current bass, do crazy tricks with it (such as flip it around himself, throw it forward then grab it, etc.) and another bass was thrown to him and he would catch it, spin it around and play another solo perfectly timed. Then the lights went out and his bass had blue neon lights on the fretboard that lit up when he played.It was crazy. The song ended and he came on for an encore and played a song by Earth Wind and Fire.

All in all... Amazing experience. Seeing victor play was very inspiring. I thought it might be dishearting because i would just think "oh, i can never play that i shouldn't even try." but even though i know i can never be nearly as good as victor, it encouraged me to practice, practice, practice and to have fun! Victor had a smile on his face the whole night (same with his brothers) and it was just a fun time. Victor is the man.

Keep bassing.
    :bassist:

10. kwelch28

kwelch28

Aug 31, 2000
    Allegany, NY
    I was at the Rochester show last night too and it was amazing. I drove three hours in a blizzard, but it was worth it. The thing he used on his mouth didn't have a talk box sound at all, instead it made his bass sound like a soprano sax and it even had the modulation and swell of a sax. As far has having a six string, victor didn't play a six at all, just 4's and 5's. And JD had an acoustic stand up set. The best part of the show was the performance. Above the musicianship of everyone on stage and Victor tearing it up, they all kept the show energetic and exciting. Also, when Victor leans forward while playing, how does he do that? I had a great view and I couldn't see any chords or anything like that. Is it his meditating stuff?

11. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Glad you had a good time. I saw Vic a while ago and even got my picture with him. He is great to listen to but seeing him live and up close is just unlike anything else. I saw him do the leaning thing in a video, I think he just leans up against a monitor.

12. Ace123

Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Well, that obviously shows that i was kind of in the back of the place. I was trying to count the strings but my friend next to me said it was a 6 and it looked like it from where i was standing so i agreed. But thanks for the clarification.
    I must be confused with the talk box thing, but whatever the hell it was, it was damn cool.
    And that part where he was leaning forward blew my mind. i didn't have a real good view so i didn't see too much but i'm still baffled.
    Yeah, it was a great show indeed.