1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm short and my mother dresses me funny.

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, May 1, 2006.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  2. isolated

isolated Zenkaku

Dec 7, 2004
    It's certainly an odd review. On the plus side, he wanted to hear more of what you guys did, not less. Sounds like a good thing to me....

3. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    So is he saying it sucked and he wanted to hear more?

4. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Small-minded people will climb on your foot to appear an inch taller than they really are.

My heart goes out to you, Ed.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    As far as I can tell, all he really SAYS is that the compositions are too short. For what it's worth, the CD is around 53 minutes ( as I recollect, I'll check tonight) so it's not like anybody's getting charged full price for 6 minutes of music or anything.
    He kind of implies that the music doesn't SUCK (the compositions have "character" is "of an order to make demands of musicians") and the musicians don't SUCK ( "quintet is obviously equal to those demands") and in particular says some nice stuff about Garchik ("in particular is a solosist to listen out for...").

But all in all, if that's what he felt I (for one) would have been happier if he said something like "Gee I like this band and the music, too bad the songs are too short." And since he didn't, it really comes off pretty negative to me. Which is too bad, because I STILL think that it's a pretty good CD and that there's some really great playing on it and some pretty hip music.

We'll have to see what else comes in. But no matter what, it still sounds the way it sounds.

6. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Wow, can I use that in my sig? ie: I'm short and my mother dresses me funny? That's just awesome.

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    ...and you have hammy hands. Never forget the hammy hands.

Sounds like the critic was having a bad hair day. Bummer. What Sam said.

8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I saw a really funny and insightful definition of "music critic" once...it wasn't flattering, and seemed to be right on the money. Wish I could remember it....

9. bassbuz

bassbuz

Jun 21, 2005
    canada
    I think one of them is "critics are like eunuchs in a harem; they know how it's done, they see it done every day, but they can't do it themselves"..
    there's also, "those who can, do, those who can't, teach, and those who can't teach become critics."
    buzz

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    It's all in that first sentence, if you start reading the review with second sentence it comes off a lot more positive. But that first sentence is the nail in the coffin...

11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    The second one is what I was trying to remember, but the first one is great too! Hope I can remember these when some azzwipe decides to turn up his nose at my stuff, in print.

12. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Exactly. He's panning the work because he thinks it anal retentive. Perhaps he needs his own laxative.

13. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I don't even understand what the reviewer is trying to say. The most meaning I can absord from the text is that he feels the pieces are too short. That's legitimate criticism, unless he's making it up. Other than that, his review is basically nonsense.

14. isolated

isolated Zenkaku

Dec 7, 2004
    Most professional critics don't really know what they're talking about. AAJ seems to rely on submissions from volunteers - which is interesting in that you get a layman's point of view on the music. However, once those reviews get posted (or published or whatever the correct term is) they're out there. And if no one can really figure out what the reviewer is trying to say, I think it's worse than a flat out panning.

I don't think they bother to edit any of their reviews for clarity. Then again, I'm not 100% sure that Downbeat or Jazztimes bothers to do that either....:smug:

What I'm trying to say is that if people are going to take the time to "review" a side, maybe they should spend an extra few minutes making sure that their point is fairly clear.

NOTE:

I'm not bashing on AAJ. They do a great job of getting the word out about things, and AAJNY has the most comprehensive and accurate listings of what's happening in NYC. I just think the reviewers should be a little more thoughtful in their reviewing.

15. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    F'em.