1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm sick of searching! Does the Ashdown ABM have tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by EAdanikDG, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Whenever I search, I get pretty much 50/50 answers. :rollno: I think it's not tube but i'm not sure. The Valve Drive button is what I think misleads people. Is it just an emulator (like I think) or does it actually drive the (supposed) pre-amp tubes. If it does have tubes, what would be the point in the new Spyder 550; it would be the same amp in a new casing.

Side note: The new Little Bastard wouldn't be too good for bassists (not enough power) but i'm willing to bet that it'd make a killer guitar amp.

PS: IDK if this has been said, but the entire Valve series is officially on sale in the UK. :hyper: Don't know about the US though.

2. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    The ABM has a switchable tube section in the preamp.

3. So the preamp has tubes that can be turned on and off?

4. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
  5. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

Aug 14, 2008
    They have a single 12AX7 which can turned on and off.

The gain to the tube can be controlled by the rotation of the "tube gain / valve drive" knob ;)

Clean - anti-clockwise
    Dirty - clockwise

6. The Little Bastard is a tube studio/practice amp, from what I can tell.

For guitar it probably wouldn't have enough gain for my tastes.

7. Jibudo

Jibudo

Mar 13, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    The ABM has a transistor preamp and a switchable valve overdrive (one 12AX7 valve). The new spyder 550 has an all valve preamp, that means 3 or 4 valves running at high voltage instead of the lower voltage ABM.

8. So it's just to provide a tube driven sound, not an actual preamp? Basically like an EBS ValveDrive or the Markbass Watchamacallit?