Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm sick of this!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Diowulf, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    Whenever I read reviews about Nightwish CD's, I always read that Nightwish ripped off Evanescence.

I looked at the back of the first Nightwish CD and the release was 1997. Evanesence, their first release EP 1998. Now you tell me...who ripped off who?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Rock journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read.

-Frank Zappa

Catch my drift?

I read reviews of the Probot album and they were talking about how King Diamond rips off Billy Corgan :)rollno: ) and the Eric Wagner track sounds like Soundgarden because Kim Thayil is on the track... THAT'S BECAUSE SOUNDGARDEN WAS INFLUENCED BY TROUBLE. Dave Grohl was trying to sound like the original artists material, and did pretty well. But unfortunatly, the reviewer didn't bother to think that these bands exsisted before probot... and before Billy Corgan :meh:

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I block it out, I try to go about life pretending I never read that review. But every now and the I need to vent about it... it... I.... I just can't sleep at night anymore.

I won't even tell ya what they said about Cathedral! ;)

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Oi!!!! :mad:

This is exactly why there are only a few mags whose opinions I trust: BWBK, Metal Maniacs, and a couple others. Mainstream music mags my head want to explode. Who the hell do they get to review music!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think they pick the most ignorant "Led Zeppelin is OK but they don't have depth of Nickelback" kind of people out there.

:mad: :spit: :mad: :spit: :mad: :spit:

BTW, Nightwish is a helluva lot better than Evanesence. I guess every band that has clean female vocals is ripping off Evanesence now :scowl: .

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've heard good things about Entombed, I'll look into that.

Actually my current goal in my metal listening is go listen to some of the earlier Doom Metal acts... that doom-metal.com site is awesome. Knowing nothing of genres, I just always assumed metal bands I really really like are just rare, because metal was always just metal to me. When I discovered metal could groove (actually thru Pantera), I discovered the fact that metal doesn't need to be loudfastrules kinda stuff. Strangely, the metal bands who try to be evil and play as fast as possible don't do much for me, it's when you slow things down that the eerie vibe really gets to you. Viva la doom... and "Stoner Rock" god I wish I didn't have to call it that... but everytime I play Monster Magnet for a stoner they love it, so accurate title I suppose. I'll check out some Entombed... thanks for the heads up.

I'd like to repeat the fact that Nightwish is awesome, I really think anyone could get into them, great metal music with a singer who can sing. Very dramatic.

6. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I like concert reviewers who say the band played some unreleased songs at some point, which they of course did. If by "unreleased" you mean "on the old albums I never bothered to listen to or don't know exist."

EDIT: Thanks for reminding me about Monster Magnet, Matt. I haven't listened to them for a while. I should finish my catalog, God's Spine, and 25...Tab, I think are the only ones I have left.

7. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I don't know man, she didn't sound as "Opera-ish" if you know what I mean.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Nightwish is ripping off Ashlee Simpson.

9. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Who's Ashlee Simpson?

10. Yeah last I heard from mainstream reviewers was that Duran Duran is now trying to sound like Franz Ferdinand, Dio is ripping metallica, and Blondie wants to be Evanessence. Real logical ya know what i mean?! :meh:

11. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I think everyone is going MAD! It's just best to go by your opinion of the music than other peoples. With comments like that, there's no choice.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

The lead singer for Cattle Decapitation.