1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm so confused!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Riley R, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I am trying to change the preamp in my Warwick Streamer standard, so I bought a Bartolini pre because it looked pretty easy to install. So I go to install it and relize there is four cables coming from the stock passive pickups. They are all bundled in one but there is a red, black, green and white. so the bartolini diagram shows connect the wire from the pickups to the pot as follows

http://www.bartolini.net/instructions/electronics/ntmb/ntmb918f.htm

which one do I connect? and why is there four, do I just let them stay unconnected. Please any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I don't know for a fact, but if I had to take a guess, I'd say that Red/Green is the +/- for 1 pickup, and White/Black is the +/- for the other one. So looking at the wiring diagram, wire the Green and Black to ground, the Red to the center post on the bottom of the blend pot, and the White to the center post on the top of the blend pot. If the blend is backwards, just swap the Red and White wires. Or, since you're swapping the preamp anyway, take 1 of the pickups off, and see what wires are going to it. If the neck pickup has a Red/Green set, then the Red goes on bottom, otherwise, the top.

3. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    hahaha now i'm really confused, well maybe not so much now. so what your saying is the positives go to the pot and the negatives go to ground? I think thts what your trying to say. If that is the case it makes perfect sense, except the colors may be wrong. When I first dissasembled the electronics in the passive system the green and white were connected to the pot and the red and black were connected to the ground, they were connected to the bottom of the pot along with the shielding, which is essentially the ground. thanks for your help I'm such a newb and I have two more basses to go after this.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I hear Homer Simpson's computer had the internet installed. Maybe Warwick's does too.

5. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA

ya they have a pretty little diagram, but not much in terms of what I need

6. Best to simply connect the pickups the same way they were connected to the original pots.

The stock emg-hz pickups on my bass actually had 5 wires for each pup. A closer look showed that only 2 of them really do anything, the rest were there to keep noise down.

7. Riley R

Riley R

Feb 10, 2006
    Modesto, CA

Thanks for the advice I finally figured it out, green and white were the positives and the red and black wer the negatives. since they are humbucking pickups they had 4 wires 2 for each side. With this knowledge I was able to do my corvette 6er with no problem. thanks again

8. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Hey Riley, if you get into a bind call me, we can meet up and I'll give you a hand. I put a bart pre into my warwick streamer std about 8mo ago. Phone # PMed, John