1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm So Disappointed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tycobb73, Apr 2, 2009.

1. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I have cerebral pulsy. Up until recently I played sitting down. So bass weight didtn't matter. Well I've found I can lean abainst my cabs and stand. Thus weight now comes into play. I think I've found the only 44-02 under 8 lbs so that isnt' a problem. I can handle that.

But my Mike Lull weighs 10lbs. I love that bass. It has the tone I hear in my head. It is the exact color combination I want (transparent red with black hardware). It feels great. And it has great history as being Mike's first 5 string, 24 fret (which I never use the extra frets, highest I get is Sweet Child O Mine, but I love owning things with history). Being a prototype Lull said it got a litle bit out of his weight range.

Before I found these basses I bought and sold probably 10 in a year. I've had these for about a year and never wanted anything else, until I started standing up with it. I thought this was it. Now I don't know what to do.

I have tight hamstrings and weak muscles all around. I already do a pretty involved exercies program.

I don't really want to go bass searching agian and to get rid of this one would be tough, but I feel much more comfortable on the Lakland because of the extra weight (we use 2 basses a show for alternate tunings and last minute key changes).

2. Dont they make stands for acoustic guiatrs that hold them into position while you are able to play something else? Maybe you should look into something like that.

3. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    there are some straps that help a lot with that, there are even some that cover both of your shoulders and then go to the bass, I don't know about brands though

4. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    That' helps with should pain but mine is in my lower back.

5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Routing and lighter hardware (bridge,turners) may help.

6. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    still, balancing the weight should help a lot with the lower back pain too

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Have you considered having Mike Lull make you a light bass? I'd bet that if you contacted him and told him about your dilemma, he would do what he could to find a very light piece of whatever body wood you have and build the rest to similar specs. If nothing else, you could ask him to estimate what the lightest possible body he could build is per your specs.

Obviously that requires selling your bass and buying a new one, but you've already stated that you go through a lot of basses, so this may not be too much of a problem.

EDIT: He may also consider doing some kind of chambered body. It might be costly, but it could also give fantastic results.

8. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    +1 I could have sworn I saw Victor Wooten use one (to play a two bass solo) at a Bela Fleck show.

9. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I've considered this. Actually I went to Stambaugh and was prepaired to put my order in with the stimulus last year when the washer broke. He told me he was pretty sure he could do something in the 8.5 lb range for $1800. May have to visit him again. The only thing that scares me is the fact that I do go through so many basses and resale value.

10. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    MPG is another one I've considered but if I'm going the custom route I want custoemr service and I've heard some things that make me wonder about his.

11. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    I would also think that Mike Lull would be able to retrofit your neck, pickups, and hardware onto a substantially lighter body (you could also discuss with him the possibility of extending the upper strap horn slightly to avoid neck dive). With this scenario, you could easily reassemble the original components should you wish to sell the bass later. Also, Sadowsky basses (including Metros) are consistently between 8.5 and 9 lbs.

12. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    The dude for Trey Anastasio's band has a bracket that holds his bass in place. no weight on him. He's a large fellow....I'll go a searching'. brb.

13. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    What's wrong with playing while sitting down? There's nothing that states you have to stand while playing...

This guy sits while playing & it seems to work for him! :)

14. ChrisPbass

ChrisPbass

Jul 18, 2006
    Fairfax, VA
    Tony is a BADASS btw....Freight train groove. I guess look for Gracie instrument stands.
    Quote:
    Astute observers are likely to notice that Markellis plays his bass on a stand. Thirty-plus years of hard gigging with heavy basses, and a household mishap, have taken a toll on Markellis’s shoulders. “I have pinched nerves in my left shoulder, and I separated my clavicle doing some misguided lawn maintenance. With a bass’s weight on my neck, my left hand goes numb, so I use these Gracie instrument stands. I don’t have to drill into the bass or anything. It’s a real lifesaver.”

15. +1
    That makes sense to me, especially if there's any risk of any type of injury if you stand / lean. Go ahead and sit down. Get a cool custom-made chair or stool. Anyone who doesn't like it, well, too bad.

16. RocketGuy

RocketGuy

Mar 8, 2009
  17. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I know. And my band has been very cool about it. Haven't said a thing. But I feel I am hurting our stage pressence.

18. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    If the band is rocking, who cares about 'stage presence'?

Let your guitarist or singer handle the backflips while you hold the whole thing together & keep it groovin'... :D

19. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    So, you can play standing up, but do you have to? If this bass has the tone you want and is collectible as you say, why get rid of it?