1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm so proud.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Justin V, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Last Thursday my band played a show in Eureka at the local all ages wharehouse/club. It was our first time playing that venue and it was a really cool place run by some really cool people (mostly teenagers and some "old people" in their mid-20's. all volunteer). We wound up being the "headliners" because I had another gig to come from in Arcata the same night.

The band before us was a really cool hardcore-ish band from SF. Their set ran kinda long, but we weren't complaining. The people across the street, however, apparently were. Keep in mind, this venue is in what you would call the "industrial" side of town and these people live in a tow yard. So we decide to cut our set down a couple of songs so as to placate the neighbors a bit. We tried to keep it down, but our drummer only brought two sets of sticks (one backup).

So we go through our set and get halfway through our last song when the girl who was acting manager that night tells us to stop playing because the Eureka PD just showed up and the venue would be fined $500 if we kept going. We're apparently the first band that's been shut down by the cops at this particular venue (the organization's moved around quite a bit).

For some reason, I've been feeling kinda "proud" that we got shut down by the cops. Feels very "rock and roll" to me. I've been smiling about it ever since.

Just felt like sharing. Anyone else got any good "cops shutting down gig" stories?

2. Albot

Albot Sonoran Fury!!

Sep 12, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    about ten years ago I was sixteen and I was playing bass in a college band with all 21+ year old members and we were playing a house party in a three story house with about 600 people in it. Well, of course after about 7 songs or so the Grand Rapids PD showed up and and told us to cut it. And because of typicall police protocol in college party situations they knew the daunting task they had ahead of them carding everyone in the house, so they told us since we were hired to play that we could just pack up and leave. Thank god cause i was way under age and WELL "in the bag" This taught me the essential gigger's lesson when confronted by the men of law, plead ignorant because you were hired for entertainment. Its gotten me out of a few situations since.

3. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Poop-loops. Thank you. That made my week.

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Years ago, when I was playing in the summer house band of "The Beach Club" in Plattsburgh, NY, the cops who came to tell us to turn down swore they did so because police across the lake in Grand Isle, Vermont had been fielding complaints about the loud music from the NY side.

Granted, the volume was tooth-vibratingly insane, but the young fools that we were at the time took perverse pride in being the kind of band that could mobilize a police response in adjacent states. :smug:

5. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    We haven't had the cops called on us yet, but I've been told by a couple of (rich, snobbish) people that my little trio garage project is on the agenda at the next town meeting. Snooty neighborhood can't handle jazz-rock until 10 pm one night a week.

6. o man, not for nothing it is cool the first few times. then it just gets old, 2 years ago, during the summer alone we had at least 5 shows get shutdown by the cops. i think 3 of um was from fights.. but it honestly is sickening. the hardcore music scene in nyc is pretty annoying right now. im glad to not be playing shows and to just be having fun in our studio..

7. Ooo one more! we were playing a show somewhere upstate ny i believe and we were supposed to be playing with an amazing band whom i love named wings of scarlet, and this was their last tour ever, they called it quits.. so anyway we were playing a backyard show at some kids house with this rather large band and people were bugging out dancing in the pool and what not just having a great time, and who comes along to ruin everything... the po-9.. well aparently we actually convinced the cops to let w.o.s. not only finish their set, but the cops watched and actually enjoyed it and said that all us kids are crazy haha.

8. thumbzilla

thumbzilla

Apr 28, 2006
    Mentor, Ohio
    Fun to see that Dad is a lefty playing lefty...no wonder he was such a hit!

9. and so, dad was able to avoid paying the consequences for his inexplicable act of violence, by rocking out really hard

10. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
  11. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I've had the cops called my band's a few times. The last time was in a bar in chicago. Apparently we were too loud for even being in a bar. They came just as we were finishing our set. Luckily we've only gotten louder since then, playing doom rules.