Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm so upset with my gear situation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, May 18, 2002.

1. I was having problems with my Stingray 5, and I brought it into Chuck Levin's. (Largest independent guitar/bass dealer in the country)

They found nothing wrong with it, and suggested Steel strings. I brought my amp in also.

The guy I bought the bass originally from worked with my and suggested things, mainly the strings.

I directly compared my bass to a Fender Jazz deluxe, and the Fender quite obviously had a better sound:( This wasn't a preference thing, it obviously sounded considerably better. The neck on the other hand felt a little sticky, and it was wide and not all that thick height wise (not to my liking). While the musicman has a 'faster' neck that felt smoother, I could play faster on the jazz without it making nasty sounds.

As of now, They agreed to put on stainless strings and do a setup for the price of the strings to see if it would fix the problem.

I'm just not sure what to do.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Between my Stingray 5 and my two American Jazz Deluxes (a '94 and an '02), both the jazz basses sound better than the Stingray. But neither of them sound like a Stingray, so when a Stingray is required, it becomes the bass of choice.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man I hope your Ray is ok. I haven't played a Fender Jazz that I liked better than My Ray.. I've played some where I liked the tone but I knew the ray was for me :). Hope you can fix your problem.. If not, an American Fender Jazz bass wouldn't be a bad choice ;)

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh, it's not a problem. My 'Ray is fine (except that it weighs over ten pounds), but I like the versatility of a Jazz bass, especially that "growl" that only a J-style can get. The Stingray is fine if you lean toward the P-bass sound. I have three Jazz basses, if you count my Roscoe Beck V. I was just playing the RB5, and it's got a J-sound that goes beyond most J's. I'd have to say, though, that the Stingray is better suited for rock. My band does country, blues and classic rock, for which the J basses work great.

All that said, none of the above compare to a nice 55-94.

5. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    So what exactly is wrong with the Stingray other that you don't like it as much as the Fender?

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    A Stingray is not as lively soundly as a Fender Jazz, but does have a really fast and smooth neck. A good setup, fresh battery and new strings is about all you can do. Had it to do all over again, I would have purchased a MIA Jazz 5 instead of the Stingray 5, only because of the style of music I play.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Oh yeah, the neck. Compared to a J neck, I would describe it as "club-like." Too thick for me. If you want a neck that plays itself, again, 55-94.

Also, not to invoke a cliche, but the Stingray is considered to be a "one-trick pony." It has a limited range of tones, so it lacks versatility, but as I said before, if you want a Stingray sound, it's a Stingray for you. Not even a 55-94 can match it exactly, but it can get close.

8. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Munjibunga

Hey i just relized who that pic in your profile looks like! The guy in the original ammetyville movie! HeHe You dont have a thing with axes do you?

9. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
  10. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Is that your pic man? Thats cool! I will just remember not to mess with you and make you mad! hehe

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I echo this question. Has it always sounded like this or has something changed?

Davy the way I read it you should buy a Fender. I have a Fender 5 string Jazz Bass and you'd have to pry it out of my hands.:cool: I friggin' love it!

That is very generous of them. I'll have to remember that the next time I go to Chuck's.
    I'd start by shopping for a new bass. :) Don't limit yourself to anything, try every bass you can afford, even cheap ones.

And remember, a good solo sound with an amp and a bass is not necessarily a good bass sound in a playing band situation.

12. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    That's why I always go to Chucks'. That and about the only other choice ic GC :( which is 20 minutes closer, but I drive right by it on my way to Chucks'

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I may be way off base here, but it sounds like the Stingray was bought out of GAS, and Davy is unhappy with the characteristic 'Ray tone. If it is a Jazz bass tone you want, you are not going to get it from a Musicman.

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    maybe you could trade it for a sterling or a mm5. with the toggle switch you can get a buttload of different tones.people who dont like rays are unholy in my opinion.;)

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Has anyone in this thread said that they didn't like 'Rays?:rolleyes:

16. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wussy.

;)

oh, and...ahem...I Don't Like Rays.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    jt, you're taunting an old man. Does it give you pleasure? I know you young studs can stand there and hold a 35-pound 14-string coffee table, but we old-timers like a bass with a balsa body and a yucca top.

18. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    laf... yucca! hahah, funny word

19. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hehe does anyone else feel like there is a knife in your lower back after you play a gig? Or am i just a freak?

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    For those not in the know, dried yucca wood is lighter than balsa, and makes an excellent wood for starting fires by friction.