Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm Sold On Using Two 112 Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ebozzz, Jun 25, 2002.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I know that there has been a lot of talk about 112 cabs or small rigs on the board recently. Add me to the list of people who actually believe that a small rig can be effective as I just received a second 112. I'm using two Genz Benz GB-12T cabs powered by 350 watts to each.

It sounds massive and the cool thing is that I can now get my whole rig in the back seat of my car! :D I rolled into my rehearsal tonight and I was actually too loud with the master volume set to 4. I backed off for the remainder of the session. Plenty loud and great tone.

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Just back from rehearsal.

[​IMG]

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    bery bery nice. :D

from the BP article, the tone descriptions seemed like it would be a good cab for me. i have to try one, and your pic is makin' me want to even more!

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I'm looking very seriously at two Bergantino single 12 cabs right now. Small room nirvana with one and good coverage in a larger joint with both. Easy load in/out. Great tone. Mighty tempting!

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm also a fan of the 2 1x12 rig. See?

[​IMG]

I'm actually doing some gigs where 1x12 is enough, but two makes it that much sweeter. :D

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I really like them joker. Depending on how I adjust the settings, I can go from Hi-Fi clean to tube warmth. They handle it all very well. ;)

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    dammit, there you go with that pic again... sheesh, cant you leave my GAS alone!!! ;):D

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    What did BP have to say about the Genz Benz cabs?

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yea, my back can't take it anymore so the 410 cab is going and I just won an auction for a new "Tech Soundsystems CT2000" cab.

This cab looks like and is about the size of a typical 112 cab but actually has 2 12's in it. One is banked to the left and blows out the ports so it looks like a 112.

Kim Stone uses these live and I liked his tone so I'm giving it a shot. I also emailed the guys that bought the previous 2 that were offered and they seem very happy with them. If it works I'll probably get another for the bigger stages I play.

10. grindmore

grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    brooklyn
    how do the two 12's compare to a 4x10 in volume and tone? more bass? less punch? do you guys play with drummers an can you compete?

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Basically they just said that the Genz Benz 112 fell just shy of some of the higher manufacturers in performance/construction but they were also the least expensive of the cabs that they tested. That's my interpretation. It was in the March issue of BP with MeShell Ndege'Ocello on the cover. Here's a quote:

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    It would probably vary somewhat depending on the make of the 112 but I personally don't feel the least bit concerned about being able to get loud enough to keep up with drummers/guitarists, getting good tone, having enough low end or having enough punch in my tone with the ones that I have. And, they aren't even the newer redesigned 'Live Series' 112s. Both of mine are 8 ohm cabs and I get 350 watts x 2 at that impedance with either of my amps. The cabs are rated at 150 watts rms. ;)

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I do 95% of my gigs with a classic rock trio and use an Epifani T212 most of the time. Almost as punchy as tens with a great low-end. This particular cab is at least as loud as an Eden D410XLT (which I sold after I got the T212) and it's lighter.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Has anyone used an Eden 2-12"?

Im realy considering getting one; either that or a Nemesis 2-12" which should be close to the same sound and quality but much lighter on my wallet and back.

I need it to use at my weekly gig durring the school football season. And seeing as I have to take this to football fields and gotta cover a helluva large open area jwith tons of bass (they all want me loud!:D ) I am looking for something that will weigh less than my current 2-15" but with a sound that rivals.

Peace
    Nick

15. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I have two Epifani 112's and an Epifani 212. Powered with a QSC PLX 3002, I get plenty of volume. Normally, and because I have an aging back and a Miata, I use one 112 for practice and take my 4 space rack. Come gig time, I'll take both 112's for portability. The sound is huge. Each one is getting 550W in a stereo configuration with the QSC. PLeny of volume!!! Pre amp is the Alembic F1X and SF2, no FX, and the bass is a Smith 6 with a mid control. For the "mid scoop" sound of the F1X, I am able to compensate with the bass itself and the SF2. Plenty of punch, and better voicing of lower frequencies than 10's. The two 112's are a rather potent combination. For killing the front 10 rows I'll go with all three cabs.

Folks tend to like 10's for punch and 15's for lower frequencies. For me, 12's are a better balance. 2- 112's are like 1-410 IMO. More portable, just as powerful, and while the defacto nod seems to go to the Aguilar's, I prefer the Epifani's after doing an A/B comparison. They just seem to suit my playing style better, I prefered the sound, and they can handle more power according to the specs. And, with the QSC PLX 3002, I've got the power to drive them. The 212 that I have is just a monster. Must be something about the larger box and the additional air that it tends to move, but it alone is only slightly more articulate than the combined 112's. The difference is negligible once the rest of the band kicks in. But a vertical stack with the 212 and the 2 112's will throw your sound to either coast with clarity to boot.

Hope this helps!