I'm sorry but...is it worth it to buy a USA L2000?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by splitcoilsenior, Aug 19, 2009.

1. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    I've been researching the G&L basses and I think I wana buy an L2000. The only issue is, I can't decide between a Tribute or American L2000. People say that the Tribute and American have the same electronics and wood. So is it worth it to buy an American G&L or just go with the Tribute?

2. Both are very good instruments. Having said that,

Mechanical fit and assembly: Both equally good.

Finish work: Hands down, the USA basses are nicer.

Hardware: Bridges are the same. Tuners are different, with the USA getting Hipshot or Schaller Ultralites.

Pickups: Same.

Electronics: Functionally equivalent, but slightly different.

Fretwork: USA necks/frets are PLEK'd

Color options: Tribute are limited to the relatively few options you see on the G&L website. The USA basses have a huge array of color and finish options available.

Neck options: USA 4 string basses have 4 neck profiles available; the Tributes have 1 neck for a given model. 5 string basses have a single profile, either USA or Tribute.

Fretless: Tributes are fretted only. USA can be had fretless with any of the above profiles.

Fingerboard options: Tribute; no options - you get what you get. USA - rosewood, maple, birds eye maple, ebony (fretless and maybe fretted again)

Body wood: Alder or ash, depending on the finish. USA can be had pretty much any way you want it. Tributes have no options; you get what you get.

Case: USA gets a hardcase. Tributes get a really nice gigbag.

Howzat?

Ken...

3. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    So basically no MAJOR difference, mainly the different options with the USA.

4. Oops! A couple things I neglected to list:

Warranty: USA - 10 years. Tribute - 1 year.

Feel: This is a whole 'nother thing. The USA basses just have a nicer feel to them. They play a little easier. They more readily fall to hand. This isn't intangible - it's easy to feel if you have the ability to A-B them, and it's all in the neck and fretwork. You just don't have to work as hard with the USA bass.

The basses are going to sound quite similar, if not the same. Obviously, there will always be some difference due to a particular body and neck combination; even between two basses that are seemingly matched. But a USA L-2000 and a Tribute L-2000 are going to sound pretty much the same.

My counsel to you would be to try to get your hands on both and then decide. Don't jump to the less expensive option until you're certain that it's the proper thing for you. The Tributes are there to allow more people entry into the G&L line. There's enough differentiation to justify the price difference.

Ken...

5. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Plek'd neck with perfect fretwork is a pretty major difference.

USA finishes are very impressive.

Tribute necks can be not bad but can also be Warwick thick.

If you are not picky about finish and you like the neck than the Tribute would be a great buy.

6. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    I'm 15 =). I don't have alot of money. I'm buying my Hartke 2X10 combo amp soon, so my next bass is going to be a G&L Tribute =)

7. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh

Good call on that warranty! Thats huge.

Using mine right now :(

8. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh

Keep an eye on the classifieds.

For some reason used G&L's go for really cheap sometimes.

9. And you'll do very well with that Tribute. Please keep us informed about your experiences with the bass.

Ken...

10. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    Haha, I will. I think im going to get one in Blueburst...the BIG decision is....MAPLE OR ROSEWOOD.

11. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

To the OP, if you live in a part of the world where people buy and sell music gear (like almost any city in the US) you should really look into buying a used G&L. They hold up well over time. And their used US ones go for not all that much more than new Tribs.

Even if you do get the Trib, you'll probably build up some serious GAS for either a US one or some other flavor of G&L. It's like a terrible contagious disease. Ken Baker has it, I know. He's owned something like 30 or 40 of them.

Oh wait. That's me. :p

Never mind.

12. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Tributes are good, but I agree that picking up used USA would be the way to go. I own a USA L2000 (and an '82 L1000 :)) and the Tribbys that I've played were close, but not as good... tough to describe, but the USA G&L's just have some mojo about them. The Tributes just felt like a typical, run of the mill bass to me.

13. as i understand it, the bridges are NOT the same. identical in construction, but not in materials.

14. And Jim. Don't forget Jim.

I actually have but three G&Ls.

Ken...

15. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Jim doesn't sell any of his. Ever.

16. You noticed that too? :rollno:

I think it's his retirement nest egg.

Ken...

17. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    Aren't the Indonesian Tributes PLEK'd as well? The Indo L-2500 I've got has a perfect fret job. The maple fretboard is so nice it's one of the main reasons I bought the bass.

18. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Wait a minute. I sold you back that toothless wunkay. ;)

Umm sold another wunkay, and a Climax.

I sell them but rarely and they have to be ones that don't pass the bar.

Jim

19. earlgray

earlgray

Jul 12, 2005
    Raleigh, NC
    My first G&L was a Tribute L-2500 -- awesome bass and there's nothing wrong with it -- it sounds and plays great. I agree that the finish is better on the US models, but hey, shouldn't it be? Far as I can tell, the country of origin doesn't affect the sound at all...

Just get what you can afford and make sure it sound & feels right to you -- don't worry about where its made. That stuff is not important at this phase...

good luck and enjoy.

20. As everyone has said, the Tribs sound just like the USAs.

If you get a Trib that feels good in your hand, I would suggest you get it if making music is about sound for you.

John

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021