Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im sorry ive got another question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hetsscaryguy, Jul 17, 2004.

1. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    i feel really bad about the amount of questions i keep posting here to find the right rig for myself.

anyway heres the latest, ive pretty much decided that once i get the money im going to get a GK 700RB-II i have read a lot of good things about it and thats good enough for me but its the cabs that ive trouble choosing.

i will at some stage manage to get a 4x10 and 1x15 stack but for the moment i need to sacrifice in order to buy the head. i think the sacrifice will be worth it to get a good head. so im thinking of getting a GK Backline 1x15 cab as a temporary solution to my problem. will this be ok to go with the head not on a sound basis, i know it wont sound the best, but in a technical basis. GKs website says the cab can only take 200w at 8ohms but the head puts out 320w at 8ohms. if i never put the volume passed 2o'clock would i be ok.

the way i see this is as a temporary situation. i can get the backline cheap and only loose a little bit on the cost of it if i try and sell it second hand in the future because of how expensive this country is. i wont be getting the 4x10 for a few months and be the i hope to have enoughfor a decent cab like the SBX and then ill pay the little extra to upgrade the 1x15 to SBX aswell.

So do you think the 1x15 will provide me with the solution ineed for mayble 6/7 months. i hope this will finally have me 100% definite on my rig and that from now on ill try and stop posting stupid threads but please help me!! :help:

2. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Questions are ok. That's one of the many benefits of a forum !!!!

Sounds like a good plan to me. I bought an SWR WM15 a long time ago with the same purpose in mind. I ended up keeping it since it weighs less than 50 lbs and still sounds decent for smaller gigs. Get the 1x15 and have that hold you over. Then when you got the 4x10, place it on top and use them both until you can afford to replace the 1x15. Who knows, you may end up desiring something else later on anyways like another 4x10 or perhaps a 2x12 which is real popular now.

Good luck !!

3. nsh50a

nsh50a

May 11, 2004
    Columbia, MO
    It's always better to have more power than you need than not enough so don't let the ratings worry you. You'll just be able to have more headroom and a cleaner sound. In my case I started out with a 2x10 and a cheap peavey 15. I never thought I'd keep it past a few years, but I still have the 15 and enjoy adding it to my my other cabs every now and again.

4. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    ok i just wasnt entirely sure because the amp is 1 and a half times the cabs rating but yeah like you said its always good to have headroom

5. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    don't feel bad. that's what the board is here for. i've posted thousands of questions on the same subject. if anyone has a problem just say "Listen JACK!!! you got a problem!!!!???" saying jack really loud usually intimidates people i've found.

6. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    thats a good one i'll remember it.

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    haha... yeah, I ask a lot of dumb questions, even after doing tons of research. This is definately the place to do it :cool:

Yeah, I kind of had the same concern your going through. I'm running 450W through a 1x15 now (300RMS), and it seems fine. Mainly, like most people say, because I have tons of headroom now. The 1x15 is mainly in support of the 4x10, and it does its job perfectly without having to be up past 11o'clock.

There are surely other brands and other options, but you shouldnt be in trouble if you picked up the Backline cab.

~Evan

8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I have a 700RBII that I use for practice. I run it through a Bag End S-15 CUS (8 ohms and 200w RMS). It really sounds good. The added headroom helps keep the sound really clear. Keep your ears open for anything that would sound like clipping. Power amp clipping kills speakers. I think you will be really happy with a head/15 combination, possibly permanently if you get a decent cab. Good, used is always better than crappy/new.

What is your budget?

And more importantly...

What kind of music do you play?

Joe.

9. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    i play mostly metal and rock but draw influences from right across both those genres from slayer, metallica, system of a down to some real soft rock like the frames to the more agressive rock like rage, audioslave, then theres some chilis influence and of course Thin Lizzy and Black Sabbath.

i know ive got a strange taste in music butit makes me flexibleto play in many kinds of bands so im happy.

as for the budget well i want to keep under €850 ($1050) if i can but i want good stuff for that. i know it sounds a lot to you americans, i know that if i was in the states id be able to buy a great full stack for that but over here it gets sweet **** all. (im in ireland by the way). the cheapest 1x15 i can get is €298 but its a hartke vx which i dont want. shipping will cost me €23 (im buying from thomann in germany for the cab) the head is coming from the states with the help of, hopefully, one of my friends dads. if he cant bring it it could add nearly €200 onto the price of it because it will have to be shipped and taxes paid etc. but it still works out cheaper than the head goes for at this side of the pond. i was thinking of a mag cab which would be cheaper and also a warwick cab which would be more expensive, but i think id be happy with the backline because i think it looks cool.

10. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I don't think your taste is a problem at all. They style you choose to play most of the time should determine your cabinet choice. Start with your 15 and when you decide to get an additional cab figure on another 15 for classic rock/blues or you can add a 210/410 to your rig for more modern stuff.

That's my 2 cents anyway!

Good luck!

Joe.

11. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    cheers you've been a great help, and now all ive to do is to get the money.