1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm speechless

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by DB66, Mar 22, 2006.

1. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    Was talking to the wife just now as she's driving home, she just got hired for a summer job as a vocal coach at one of these Day Jams School of Rock places for kids, she was saying it's great but it's going to be yet another 1099 at the end of the year. Between all the 1099s I got this year from multiple bands and all hers from her many jobs she said, "we're going to need some write-offs, how much is that bass you want?" I couldn't believe my ears. I told her about $3,850, thinking of the Cleveland I've been eyeing. She said, "that's all?" "Well uh ..between $3,850 and $5K depending on the bass", thinking about the Shen or Wan Bernadel I've also considered. She finally said, "Well your'e getting that bass" Amazing.

You just can't go out and buy a bass when your'e married with kids unless your partner is comfortable with such a large expense, and up till now she wasn't. Might have something to do with the 6 month old twins now living under our roof.

I've been really wanting a new bass with a thicker neck, ebony FB, louder and better angle for bowing, etc. Guess I need to start researching and playing. I did try an Eastman which was nice and played PB+J's 7/8 Shen (very nice).

Anybody in the DC metro area with a Cleveland, Wan or Shen 3/4?

Still speechless,

Eric L.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    PFC!

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Yeah, baby. I had the same talk with my wife a couple of years ago (she started it). Almost identical to yours. A few months later, I was the proud owner of my beloved LaScala hybrid.

How cool for you! I'm skewed towards the New Standards, but there are some Shens that I would certainly not kick outta bed either.

Moral; gig hard and marry well! Congratulations.

4. Eric,
    You're talking about a Cleveland. If you have the opportunity to head down Richmond VA way you are welcome to play my Cleveland. Just give a call.
    Jim :)

5. Farin

Farin

Oct 19, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Go for a 3/4 or even a 7/8 Willow Shen. I love mine! It's just awsome, and their customer support is amazing, you just couldn't ask for a better group of guys!

6. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Another idea, its a bit on the high side, but George Vance's
    website has a real Laborie Q bass listed for $7K. They have
    small sloping shoulders to make upper register access
    easier. If I'm not mistaken he's in Maryland, so not too
    far from you, if it were me I'd check it out :)

Have fun in your quest,

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I am so jealous. I would love to have someone tell me I have to go buy a nice bass. Instead I got my englehardt beater, awh well. Congrats man!!

8. mpm

mpm

May 10, 2001
    Los Angeles
    My second wife was the harmonica player/vocalist with the Rightous Brothers till recently, so instrument purchases were never an issue either, you lucky dawg!

9. DB66

DB66

Aug 24, 2005
    Washington, D.C.
    Thanks for the responses. I double checked tonight in the car ride home if the winds had changed, "so were you serious?". "Yes, your'e getting that bass". So cool, I still need to find the money, but half the battle is won. Money is what you make it.

Cleveland Jim, I will take you up on that offer to see your bass in Richmond, I'll let you know when I'm out that way. Thanks.

That George Vance bass looks like it's in Australia. However, I'm determined to find a good bass for 5K.

E.L.

10. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    What, you mean the Righteous Brothers had a sister? :bag:

11. jfv

jfv

May 5, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Opps, sorry, I didnt look closely, was just on his site
    to order the Laborie endpin, saw that bass showing
    and didnt look further, I suppose shipping from down
    under would be pricey :)

12. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    My fiance picked me up a Warwick after we got engadged... she still made out on the deal with that ring hehe

13. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    New Mexico. USA
    And what number wife are you with now, Doctor?;)

14. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

Well Maestro Schnitzer, from meeting her at the Namm show with Dr. Mike I can only assume she is Numeral Uno..:cool:

15. I love your wife... :bawl:

16. Eric,
    Just give a call, email, smoke signal or whatever. I must warn you. You are really going to dig Arnold and Wil's bass. This big shouldered blonde is set up with a Doc Pecanic compensated tail piece, camelopard titanium end pin and a 4 week old set of Garbos. HUGE PIZZ and an E string to absolutely die for.
    So, get that cell phone ready to call Uncle Arnold. You gonna love it man! Just PM for home phone or cell.
    Jim :D

17. Reading this thread makes me wonder (being so heavily taxed myself) if it is not also time for me to trade up;- wives that is .....:eyebrow:

18. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    And an opportunity for complete gender equity, too: "Okay honey, why don't you pick up a Marine Band -- hell, get TWO -- and I'll get a bass. Maybe two... ."