1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm starting a tour of jazz blog

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by PRUNEFACE, May 16, 2011.

1. I am creating a blog that has the goal of introducing the common folk to jazz and its different genres. I've already finished the layout (go wordpress!) and am trying to decide how to go about creating a glossary (already have the page and everything, I just need to decide how to choose words to include and everything) for the blog.
    HERE it is in its very very base form without any actual posts or meaningful information.
    Tips and critiques on the layout/page descriptions would be appreciated!

2. "Jazz of the 60s" is a pretty big umbrella, and included some great examples of many (if not most) of the other categories listed.

I'd ditch the time-based 60s label and add categories such as "hard bop," "post bop," and "cool."

There are more, but those seem to cover the main ones.

3. HCF

HCF Of course, YMMV Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Amsterdam
    Sounds like a great idea Pruneface! I already bookmarked the site, good luck with it!

4. I did that for aesthetics; I will see what I can do.

5. Just began working on the glossary. Check it out whenever you can. I really need feedback from you more experienced jazzers!

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Not to say your inclusion of musicians such as Wynton, Ronny Jordan or Wes in your category descriptions is necesssarily wrong, but to leave Miles out of the bebop, 60's or fusion areas tells me you need to do more research and listening before you start your blog. He changed the sound of the music many times over his long career and is hugely influential. You can't talk about jazz without including Duke Ellington, Basie, Louis Armstrong, etc. Use the universally regarded giants in your descriptions. It will give your blog more credibility. Also, the NYC 60's jazz scene was the antithesis of west coast cool and as important, if not more so.

7. Here's why I left Miles out: Im actually working on his own page because he "changed" so much during the different eras. And I havent actually started work on the blog yet. Those are just the very brief subheaders. I need to "calm down" the modern jazz subheading.

8. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    *tiptoes over from the BG end of Talkbass*

Nice idea - I like the layout. Good luck with it, I'm looking forward to seeing this as it fills out!

*tiptoes back to BG section*

9. Totally.

(I hadn't noticed that there were descriptions available if you clicked the headers.)

10. Well it is important to remember the little descriptions may not even be there when the finished product comes out (I tried to be brief, but failed with my description of modern jazz.) I am about to experiment with adding more "pages" and, hopefully, if I have enough, it will look alright. And Mr Hochberg I actually listened to three Davis recordings yesterday ;) but like I said I have to get the page all setup. I may have posted this prematurely as I got some ideas to fix a number of things.

11. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Now you're talking! :)

12. Have just completed the basic form of the "Early 1900s" page (ragtime and dixieland.) Would really like feedback and suggestions. I dont have much experience with some of these genres, and if you have recommendations I'm more than open to them