1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm starting an engineering course at college tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I've got my blue boiler suit and everything!

Is anyone on here an engineer?

It's a broad-range introduction course that covers lots of areas, i cant wait.

Just need to get my safety boots sorted out in the morning... :scowl:

Peace out! :hyper:

EDIT: I'm hoping to move onto university and become an aeronautical engineer.

2. I'm a second year Mech Eng student.... tis a fun yet hard time. Safety boots? I only needed steel caps once so far and that was when I had to do a lathing/metal work course outside of uni.

3. I'm not allowed to do any practical stuff unless i have safety boots and overalls :p

I'm looking forward to it, apparently i have enough knowledge for the higher course but they want to make sure i have the skills so I'm pretty happy.

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've been starting and stopping my electronic engineering coursework for the last two or three years (life gets in the way of school sometimes). But I am back on track starting tomorrow! We don't need blue suits or steel-toed boots, but we do need graphing calculators and all kinds of testing equipment.

5. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    Im a second year Petroleum Engineering student.

lots of fun stuff happening.

6. Oh man I feel left out. I don't use safety boots or graphics calculators(though the latter would be nice).

7. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Electrical engineering here..

I just need my calc and a multi-meter ATM. All the really good test equipment is on campus.

8. Well, i pretty much got talked at all day.

First off we had an hour to go out with a peice of paper with five signs on and we have to say where we found them and what the signs meant.

Some of us went round and found some...the others (including me) just had a look at the sign on the wall entitled 'saftey signs'...

Rest of the day we were sat infront of a powerpoint about health and saftey.

Oh, and the tutorial afterwards about college values.

No point in me putting on my saftey shoes today then eh? well... unless my bus home decides to run over my foot.

9. Graphing calculators are nice. Expensive, but nice. However, the school I attend currently does not allow us to use programmable calculators, so I'm using a more scaled down calculator (it still does much of the math that the graphing one could).

10. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Matlab > Graphing calculator

11. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I am a Mechanical Engineer. Any mechanical or civil engineering the the greater Houston area looking for a job? I am looking to hire someone.

12. In other words, computer>handheld calculator. I think that goes without saying. :smug:

Matlab is a great tool once you know how to use it. I haven't used it in a few years, but I'm taking some courses this year where we use this software again. :)
    I did a project one year with my brother where we used Matlab to play the middle section of "Master of Puppets" by Metallica. :cool:

13. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    Computer Engineer count?

Actually I am taking a course on it in High School.

14. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Matlab DOES have a pretty huge learning curve. And I've noticed that it's hardly ever used in the industry because of its huge price tag. Makes me wonder why so many of my courses emphasized using it...

It's an amazing program for quick system analysis though. Need to solve a circuit? Don't bother punchin those matrices into your graphing calculator, Matlab will have a function for it ;)