1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm starting to plateau

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jrklmx(Andrew), Apr 6, 2009.

1. jrklmx(Andrew)

jrklmx(Andrew)

Mar 31, 2009
    I practice songs with a metronome. I take weekly music lessons. I'm in a youth orchestra playing DB and a jazz combo and another jazz group on EB.
    I try to learn and play as much music as possible and to learn as many rhythms as possible. I practice bowing, walking, slap bass and chords in my spare time but lately I feel like I hit a huge plateau.

Any advice?

2. Everybody does that. You advance for a while, then kind of level out. Just keep doing what you're doing. Sounds like you're on the right track. You might want to throw some variety in there though if you're getting bored.

3. chicagodoubler

chicagodoubler Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2007
    Chicago, that toddling town
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, Genz Benz
    push your metronome markings

take a week and just work on sound- playing scales all over the instrument with the focus on making slight technical changes to broaden or fatten your sound

transcribe a solo from your favorite player

get a lesson from a different guy, preferably the top player in your area who teaches, or the guy whose students work the most...

take a week off completely

fall in love

take a vacation

learn a whole Beatles/ Sly Stone/ other awesome groove album

When you really care about your development sometimes you have to think outside the box to achieve true growth.

Good luck!

4. frozilla

frozilla

Dec 21, 2008
    Walrus, New York
    ALSO also really wants to be Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez
    Try looking from a different perspective!
    Take up a side instrument.

5. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    learn how to play with your teeth.

...Or

Good luck, lad

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Wiiliam Murderface... FTW!

7. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Been there/am there/will be there again. Its about cycles, loops and learning to make it with what you have. I recently started playing with much better players and have become better myself (not technique exactly but 'heart').

Remember who is the chimp and who are the zoo keepers, and who are the visitors.

8. quale213

quale213

Sep 17, 2008
    Pittsburgh
    +1 Styleovershow
    Play with as many musicians as possible as well as open yourself to other musical styles. Try listening to some Latin/Cuban music or some other unexplored musical landscape.
    I think it is actually pretty difficult to judge plateau's. You hear yourself play so any increment of progress is going to be difficult to notice. As someone else said above, take bass off for a week or start moonlighting on another instrument, it will only make you a better musician. It sounds like more of a rut than a plateau.
    Keep rockin

9. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    just play through it. No big deal.