Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm stepping into the world of coffee roasting

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Jan 27, 2006.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I know there is at least one person here who roasts his own coffee. Don't know if there are any others.

Today I ordered a Fresh Roast Plus 8 coffee roaster from www.sweetmarias.com and 4 lbs of green coffee. It's just too expensive to buy fresh-roasted coffee (ie - they roast it after you order it) once you include shipping and whatnot so I decided to give it a go for myself. I hope it works out because you can get great hand-selected raw coffees for 4 to 6 bucks a lb. I'll update this thread when I start roasting to let anyone interested know how it's going. I'm currently on decaf for medical reasons but I may try and start reintroducing caffeinated coffee into my diet in a month or so and see how it goes.

brad cook

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Someone needs to send Paul $20.

and that some one is brad cook... who plays ET like the woman that he is.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sorry, I spent all my Christmas money on a coffee roaster.

brad cook

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Cool Brad, you'll have fun with it. I like the reaction I get from people when I tell them I roasted the coffee they are drinking at my home. It's also something the wife and I like to do together.

I used the Zach and Danni machine for a long time. You won't believe what I use mostly now.....a popcorn popper. The kind you put on your stove. The air poppers work well too.

We'll have to swap a couple pounds.........after you get a few batches under your belt. :p

-Mike

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    You make it sound like a cult or some kind of pyramid scheme.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Interested?

:ninja:

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Oh yeah, I've read all about the popcorn popper methods and almost bought a West Bend Poppery II off of Ebay. However, it turned out that I cancelled a pretty expensive flashlight order when I found out it wasn't in stock and that freed up some money for a dedicated type machine. I figured that might be better to start out. In the meantime I'm gonna be on the lookout for a good air popper at resale shops and stuff.

Why'd you abandon the Z&D machine and go with the popper?

brad cook

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I still haven't forgiven you for roping me into Amway, and now this?!?!?:mad:

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My wife and I preferred the results from the stove top popper. We roast our coffee really, really dark and greasy. The Z&D is nice, just not for us. A chance came along for me to sell the Z&D to a couple where my wife used to work, so we jumped on it and sold it to them.

-Mike

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Don't blame me for your failure in toiletries. :scowl:

brad cook

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Brad, If you were really serious about Coffee you'd go to Columbia, find Juan Veldez and find out were they grow the best coffee. Then you'd buy the land from Pablo Escobar hire some narco terrorist to protect it and go down there every fall and pick your own! :D

12. I'm too lazy to roast my own, so i get it at a little coffee house that roasts fresh every day.............

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Meh...I used to like Juan Valdez until he sold out.

brad cook

14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

As a lover of good coffee, I'd love to hear more, especially if I can do this low tech on the stovetop. Care to give a lowdown on the process and maybe any good sources for green beans?

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    This thread is slightly too metro-sexual for me

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sure would. I love roasting coffee, and would be happy to help.

Check out the link Brad provides at the top. I've bought beans from them before, and they have some nice how to articles. No amount of reading is going to make you good at it. You'll just need to gather the equipment and start practicing, which is what I did.

It really is simple with some practice. There are really no set amounts of time to do things, you have to let your nose guide you. It also helps to have a firm grasp of what exactly you want out of your coffee as far as strength and flavor goes. The longer you roast, the darker the coffee. I think the site tells you that light roast coffee doesn't do well in a stove top popper, I do not agree. Make sure you have someone to help you. Keeping the beans moving with the heat going can be tough, and if you lose track, you'll burn your beans.

I get my beans locally from a guy who runs a small coffee shop. I can hook you up with some of the ones I use if you're interested.

-Mike

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Thanks Mike! I'll spend more time looking though that site and do some searching on my own too. I spent 6 years as the night manager of an independent coffee house that took their beans pretty seriously (fresh roasted, overnited to our place), and I'm also a cooking person by nature. It seems like it could be a fun thing to do and it would cool to give out fresh roasted coffee to friends and family. Don't worry about surrendering your sources right now as I'm cool with doing some online trial and error ordering, and I know of at least one place in this area that has 'raw' beans.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Right on bro. You'll pick it up right away then. It is great to have some people over and serve them freshly roasted/brewed coffee.

I would also suggest that you keep track of your roasting times and temps as you roast. It's quite frustrating to roast a really good batch of beans, and then realize you weren't paying much attention to how you did it. The cool thing about it is you can easily duplicate your results later if you take good notes.

I don't mind hooking you up with the dude I get my beans from. Go ahead and try your local guy, and some online sources too. If you want some from my buddy, send me a PM. Heck, I'll send you some I roasted first so you can have a free sample.

-Mike

19. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Cool.

I'll drop you a line once I get up and rolling...

This might be a more useable,lower impact thing than the beer brewing I do on occasion.

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No way would a self-respecting metrosexual be roasting is own coffee beans. Not with a $tarbuck$ on every corner.

brad cook