I'm still looking for ideas on a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassapprentice, Apr 18, 2001.

1. bassapprentice

Apr 15, 2001
    Thank you everyone for sending in your ideas for a new bass that i should receive...I'm still looking for one so keep sending me your ideas...current basses that are being looked at by me:
    **Fender Standard J
    *Ibanez SR300/400
    *Schecter Custom/Deluxe

I am looking for a good bass that I could play for under $450...active or passive that sounds great

Right now I am learning on my uncles bass...G&L L-2000....i would love to get that one but it might be out of my price range.

Please let me know what basses you think i should look at and your ideas on the ones that i listed above

-the bassapprentice
  2. BA,

Thanks for posting this again. Sorry your last thread disintegrated into childish behavior.

How much does your uncle want for the G&L? Is he open to negotiation?
  3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    That G&L would be great.
    Maybe, if you doN't have the money right now, you could pay him every month. lets say 50$ a month.
    you think you could do that?
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    let me chime in and also give a hearty thumbs up for the ole' g&l 2000, i really like their setup, excellent sound and playability. i really dig em.
  5. I'd go with the Ibanez, but as I've said before about Berk....ohhhh forget it. :) ;) :|)
  6. I've just finished a session today with my L2000. Man!...I tell ya....it's nice. I ran it through a presonus Bluemax compressor and straight to tape.

Look at Dean, Cort....check bassnw.com
  7. If you are new at playing and looking to get your first bass then Fender would be a fine choice. If you don't have a lot of money look at the Fender Squire series P-bass.

They are inexpensive and they make a great instrument to start on.

The Mexican made Fenders are nice as well and don't cost a whole lot.

Ibanez makes some decent basses as well. If you can find an ATK series bass they are great!

In you price range, don't get fooled by an instruments apperance. There is some real fancy looking real cheap pieces of junk on the market. Get something simple and straight forward, stay away from the bells and whistles.
  8. Me?....I was just trying to say that L2000 is a great bass.:)
  9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dont worry, we know not to pay attention.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Of the basses you named, I would get the Fender Standard Jazz. If you can swing a little more dough, you can get a Deluxe Active Jazz for $539.00 at Musician's Fiend. If you are a good haggler, you might get one locally for around $500.

They have the same pickups and electronics as the American Deluxe Active Jazz, so are quieter and have more versatility than the Standard Jazz.

Of course, if you can swing a G&L, they are better than any of the other contenders. But a new one will cost a lot more than even the Fender Deluxe. If you could find a used one, or talk your uncle into selling his, you might get one around $450.

Good luck!:)
  11. Hey bassapprentice, I'm looking for a bass in the same price range and the Spector freaks here in this forum got me looking into a NS2002B. It's a passive bass and I have yet to try one out but maybe you should look into it. I might have to raise my price limit to $650 to get what I want though.
  12. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I can sell you my 98 American std P bass in VERY near mint with HSC for 450.Its a great bass but i have another P(Brand new A series)so this ones gotta go.Let me know if your interested.Thanks!
  13. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    What color is it?
  14. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    It's metallic purple with rosewood fretboard and 3ply white/black/white pickguard.It plays and sounds great.It's not everyones favorite color but it does look pretty cool.Its an honest 9.9 out of ten as is the molded case.It also comes with the truss rod tool,strap,and cord.If the bass is not as described ill refund your money.Thats the best i can do.